code F3 error on Kenmore Oven

Old 05-23-01, 07:59 PM
Visiting Guest
I turn on my Kenmore Oven and set the electronic control to broil hi, the broiler goes on and lights. It remains on for 5 minutes then goes off and an F3 code appears in the display. It beeps until I hit clear. After unplugging it and letting it cool, I tried the broiler again with the same result. It's only two years old and rarely used. Please help.

Old 05-23-01, 09:12 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello and Welcome K Hoeler to the Do It Yourself Web Site and thanks for posting a question in my Gas Appliance forum.

The question is does this happen during any other oven selections? If it only happens during the broil selection, the code indicates a problem in that part of the electrical system only.

These electronic circuit board systems have several individual sections. Any part on the front control panel or any componet on the circuit board may have malfunctioned. If the code appears during all oven selected functions, contact the Sears appliance phone service help line and inquire.

The electric appliance forum also has information on trouble codes. Check within those archives for web sites with helpful information. Just be sure to unplug your appliance prior to attempting any repairs.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 05-27-01, 09:14 PM
Visiting Guest

Kenmore could be frigidare,GE,or whirlpool clone. Also depends on if it's gas or electric, they use slightly different diagnostics and control boards. Sounds like you might have a frigidare electric clone with a bad control board, with the info you've given

[Edited by Tom_Bartco on 05-28-01 at 12:23]

Old 05-28-01, 12:00 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

Thanks for the feedback. The oven is a gas oven with model number 75875691. I don't know who made it. What do you do about a bad control board? Is it something I can replace. One web site said an F3 code meant a bad sensor. How would you replace a bad sensor?

Old 05-28-01, 05:04 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: khoeler

Would you mind if I asked you to please re-read the second paragraph of my orginal post? I think we have lost sight of the problem and become side-tracked with brand names, makes, models and who's clone the appliance is. I would like to know if the condition effects ONLY the broiler.

If ALL the other systems function correctly, we can then assume the problem lies within only the broiler system. Could help determine if the flame sensor is the problem or the broilers elctronic control system on the motherboard.

Old 05-28-01, 05:47 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry code F3 error on Kenmore Oven

We have the same oven that had the same problem. Called an appliance repairman and he replaced the sensor for $150. That didn't do it. So for another $75 (much negotiating got the price down!), the entire circuit board was replaced. I believe the circuit board was bad from the beginning as the oven never got hotter than 300 degrees. The board itself will run you about $150 to $200 - either from a repair place or from Sears. Our furnace is a Sears model and hasn't worked right since it was installed. I believe they purchase the lowest grade models from the manufacturer and sell it at an equivalent price to other name brand models. I'll NEVER buy another Sears or Kenmore product.

At any rate, if you call the Sears/Kenmore customer service number and ask for parts, they'll give you the part number and will ship it to you. That is, if you want to replace it yourself. It'll probably take a couple weeks to get the part in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: