Gas oven Takes to long to light

Old 05-26-01, 12:33 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

My 10 year old Magic Chef series 30 gas stove takes anywhere from 15 to 25 minutes to light after the thermostat is set. It also gives off a pretty strong Gas smell as well. I am afraid it is going to "BLOW" if not corrected. What could cause this oven to take so long to start?
Thanks

Old 05-26-01, 07:18 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hello and Welcome gemjonz to the Do It Yourself Web Site and thanks for posting a question in my Gas Appliance forum.

My assumption here will be based on not knowing the type of ignition system used by this appliance.

If the oven is equipped with an electronic ignition glow coil and the coil has never been replaced or is more then 5 years old, it's weak and will need to be replaced.

If the oven has a pilot flame that is lighted by a spark ignition and the flame heats a safety element, the flame may have dust in it making it a weak flame. If the safety element the flame heats is weak it needs to be replaced.

Althought it is a rare instance to have an oven BLOW <as you stated> due to a burner that does not light up as usual or in a timely fashion as yours does, it is a condition that needs the service of a professional if a gas odor is present.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 05-27-01, 10:09 PM
Visiting Guest
I've seen magic chef ranges fill up with gas with a weak ignitor condition. If you see an orange glow and no flame is lit within 15-20 sec. replace the ignitor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: