Kenmore Igniter Replacement

Old 03-30-19, 08:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Igniter Replacement

So, I have an igniter on my Kenmore (model 79078784407) that works intermittently. I thought I would, for the time being, switch that igniter to the back corner that I rarely use. Now, after looking at the online parts manual, I now know they are all different.

So my questions are .....

1. Is there a way to fix the intermittent issue? Or is it just going bad?
2. The bolts snapped off when trying to remove them. Can I extract them easily, or do I now need to just replace the igniter?
3. Are there aftermarket igniters that will work for this. Kenmore's are incredibly expensive. They charge 8 bucks for just one bolt (which I would never pay).

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/mod...rm=79078784407

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-19, 03:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 482 Votes on 452 Posts
That is only replaceable as a unit. Search around. There are bargains to be had. It can be found on ebay too.

OEM part # 316237805

You can buy similar screws at a local hardware store. Look for self tapping stainless steel screws.

What is intermittent.... the spark at one burner ? It could be a cracked porcelain igniter and it could be a problem with the spark module.

Old 03-30-19, 03:19 PM
As far as the intermittent.......there is really no pattern or anything. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Only at the one burner.

And I was thinking, if I have to unscrew all igniters to lift the stove top, it appears I will be breaking off each bolt head. And if that happens, good lord, I'll have to buy all four igniters. Great design.

Old 03-30-19, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
If you have a similar sized burner ...... try switching the flame spreader and cap.

Old 04-15-19, 06:58 AM
So, now that my new igniter has been sitting here and is ready to be installed, I did some more thinking about it.

I have a feeling, based on feel, that it is the switch that controls the igniter. That would suck since I"m already out 50 bucks for the igniter.

My real problem is.........how do I even check the switch or swap out my igniter without have to drill out the broken bolts from each frickin igniter????

Is there any way to splice in a new switch without having to replace the entire harness? Though, I'm not sure where I'd get a switch.

Old 12-14-19, 09:26 AM
Now that the cold is here I'm back to indoor projects..........left this one alone for awhile.

Can anyone give me some advice? I am replacing a burner, but on my stove I need to unbolt each burner to lift the stove top. I know every single burner screw will break as I have already broken 3.

Am I just going to have to try to extract all of them? Is there some other way?

Old 12-14-19, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
Hadn't seen you in a while. Figured you were done.

Unfortunately there is not an easy way to get those screws out. It's even more of a pain in the *ss to get the old screw out of the burner. Sometimes I get lucky with vice grips or a pair of wire cutters across the bolt. It depends how much is sticking out of the burner...... either top or bottom. Soaking the screws before trying to extract will help.

Soaking the bolts in place now doesn't usually yield much help but can't hurt.
I always use stainless steel replacement screws.

Old 12-26-19, 11:27 AM
Well, finally took the time to do this today. But still have problems.

1. The burner I replaced still isn't sparking when I turn that burner on. If I turn another burner on, it will spark and light.

2. The new burner has a large yellow flame. Looks like the orifice is larger. Why would that be?

3. The other front burner, whose bolts snapped off, will not light now. I drilled out the old bolts and used some self tapping screws. But I didn't get the old screws drilled out perfectly centered, so now it sits a little cocked. Can I slot out the tray holes to get the burner in straight, or should I just cut my losses and buy a new one?

Old 12-27-19, 09:46 AM
Update,

My only problem left is the burner that I broke the bolts on won't light. I have it bolted in straight now, but I'm not getting a strong spark.

If I take the stove top tray off and put the burner head and cap back on it lights fine. Seems like a grounding issue.

Old 12-27-19, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
The spark module should put out a spark to all burners regardless of which burner control is turned on. If one doesn't work you can swap wires with another one. Sometimes it's a cracked igniter and it arcs internally.

Old 12-27-19, 11:07 AM
Yes, all 4 spark, but for some reason I'm not getting a strong spark at the one burner with it bolted up. The spark jumps to the side.....not the top.

If I take the stove top off, and set the burner spreader and cap on the burner, it sparks good (straight up) and lights. See pic.

I'm guessing the burner head is grounded thru the burner. Because I had to drill out the old bolts, the fit is off a bit and its not getting a strong ground. The spark jumps to the side and not to the top where the gas is coming.

Does that make sense?

Attached Images  
Old 12-31-19, 12:11 PM
Does anyone have any advice?