What is that pipe on my Wedgewood stove?

Old 04-03-19, 09:20 PM
_
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question What is that pipe on my Wedgewood stove?

We recently bought a house that came with a nice old Wedgewood stove (see picture). We plan to remodel the kitchen but would like to keep the stove. Does anyone know what the purpose of the exhaust pipe is that is coming out of the top of the stove? I am guessing it was necessary when something more dirty than natural gas was used in this oven. But is it still necessary with natural gas? Can I take it off and use the exhaust pipe in the ceiling for a vent hood instead?

Attached Images  
Old 04-04-19, 01:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 990 Votes on 901 Posts
No you can not. It's a 1950s stove and it needs to be direct vented. Unfortunately, they ran it right up the wall.

Old 04-04-19, 05:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
Just like a furnace needs an exhaust flue/chimney so does your stove.

Old 04-04-19, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The old stoves like the O'keefee and Merritt ones burned wood and gas. Those did not have any exhaust grill in the front and had an outside exhaust pipe. Yours looks to be only a gas stove and has a vent under/over the clock. That would make the outside vent not a necessity but a nicety. Gas stoves/ovens today don't have an outside exhaust although it is a real plus to eliminate the CO from the burning of the gas.

Try to find a model number for that and we can check further.

On edit:
That's a 1950 Wedgewood. It was very popular. The one with the single glass in the door was a little more popular. I was visiting a coupe of the antique stove forums. Your question is fairly common and was asked a lot. Many ok'ed removing the outside flue line but it needed to have a vent hood above it directly vented to the outside. Not a recirculating type hood. If you aren't going to add a new exhaust hood...... leave the flue intact.

Last edited by PJmax; 04-04-19 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-04-19, 11:04 PM
_
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you all for the advice. The fact that it just burns natural gas like modern ovens that don't have a direct vent either makes me think I should be able remove it. But I would certainly only do that if I replace it with an exhaust hood. I'll be able to go to the house tomorrow and look for the model number.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: