gas cooktop igniters

Old 05-28-01, 02:01 PM
Visiting Guest
I would like to find info on how gas stove cooktop igniters work. Tired of the useless clicking. What is can be tuned up? Why do I get spark but no ignition when I can smell gas? Why do I sometimes get no spark, no noise. Then moments later get ignition? Any direct help or directions toward help would be appreciated. Cannot afford a repairman right now...

Old 05-28-01, 05:33 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello and Welcome McLafferty to the Do It Yourself Web Site and thanks for posting a question in my Gas Appliance forum.

Ignitors can not be tuned up but the can be cleaned to perform better. Use a dampened cotton swab and lite soap. Rinse out any soap left behind with another cotton swab.

The burners may not light do to plugged or restricted ignition ports. Ignition ports are the tiny holes going up the side circumference of the burner head. The ports will be facing the sparker. The holes can be cleared out using a pin or piece of wire.

The same above method can be used to cleanout the burner head holes that are clogged. They should all be cleaned out and all holes should have flames coming out in order to spread the heat evenly to a pot or pan.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: