BBQ grill grate

Old 07-16-19, 09:30 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
BBQ grill grate

I recently bought a new propane grill. After a few uses the grate paint is chipping and bubbling. Not sure how to deal with this. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 07-16-19, 10:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I would fire up the grill on high and try to burn off any paint or coating on the grate. Let it cool then use a Scotch Brite pad or fine sandpaper so smooth out any roughness. Bare steel can rust but it's nothing that will hurt you and is much better than who knows what coating is on there.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 07-16-19, 08:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Dane gave you one way to handle the problem.

Knowing the prices of grilles..... I'd go back to where I bought it and either get a new grate or a new/different BBQ.

Old 07-17-19, 02:28 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
grate paint is chipping and bubbling
Just to confirm, this is the grill that the food sits on or something else in the grill?

I've never seen a grill (that food sits on) painted, they were always chromed steel!

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 07-17-19, 03:55 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
We sell a lot of grills from high end Webers to $99.00 chepo's (which BTW, i prefer). Most of the grill section that food sits on may have a coating that should be burned off as PD says. None that I've seen have paint on them.

Old 07-17-19, 08:25 AM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by marioman
I recently bought a new propane grill. After a few uses the grate paint is chipping and bubbling. Not sure how to deal with this. Any ideas? Thanks
I just got done re-seasoning a hand-me-down-grill, so here's what I found-

Some manufacturers add a "clear coat" or "wax" that keeps the grate from rusting while it is sitting outside on display. That burns off, then you need to "season" the grill using vegetable oil. "Seasoning" the grill means using a vegetable oil that will polymerize and give you a sort of "natural Teflon" on the grate.

Run the grill at full flame with the grate in (not full preheat) until the temperature stops rising. Let everything cool, clean grates, lid and base with a grill brush or SOFT wire brush.

Check any of several sites about "seasoning cast iron" and you'll find lots of conflicting information about which oil to use lard, olive oil, flaxseed, grapeseed, avacado etc.

From my chemistry background, and websites, https://gearpatrol.com/2019/04/06/be...-iron-skillet/ I've used grapeseed oil, a HIGH smoke point oil- on the theory that a high temperature oil seasoned grill should survive future lower temperature use without any problem.

Basically, wipe down the grill interior and gratings with grapeseed oil, SLOWLY bring the grill up on full indirect heat (i.e. you don't want flames licking the grates) to around 420 and hold for an hour.

Let cool, repeat if coverage wasn't to your liking.

Now, I HAVE also picked up avacado oil, which is good up to 520 degrees (F) so I may try seasoning with that as well...

Old 07-17-19, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 388 Upvotes on 316 Posts
I imagine they're talking about the finish when they say paint.
Altho I've never, ever seasoned mine, I do rub oil on them before I grill. Same effect I guess. OP, do you oil it first or are you just putting the food on dry. This could cause chipping, I would think.

Old 07-17-19, 10:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
Mmmmm, now I want to grill something.

Shadeladie voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: