ignitor clicks continuosly

Old 05-30-01, 04:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Please help! The ignitor on one of my gas burners clicks continuosly when knob is in the OFF position. To stop the ignitor I must turn knob to just past OFF, but not quite to LITE. What can I do to remedy this problem. I am a "do it yourselfer" and not afraid to get in deep. Thanks, Dave

Old 05-30-01, 05:22 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello and Welcome Dave to the Do It Yourself Web Site and thanks for posting a question in my Gas Appliance forum.

Each top burner gas valve has it's own electrical switch that turns on the sparkers. Any switch can turn on all the sparkers at once. Important to know.

It's possible either one of those switches is stuck closed or got wet. What you'll need to try is locate which one it is.

First unplug the stove! Then remove evrything from the top and open the lid. Remove any plastic clear disks if there are any. Get a hair dryer and dry out each switch if you think it could be wet from a recent cleaning with too wet a sponge, etc.

If that works fine. If not, you'll have to remove the two wires to each switch and using an ohm meter, test for continuity at each switch when it's in the OFF position. There should not be any continuity. If there is at one or more, the switch is closed when it's suppose to be open. R & R as needed with new ones.

Could also be the spark module. It can be removed, taken to the local appliance parts store for testing.

There is additional information within the archives of this forum on this same subject.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.
Please be advised that although I have spent 18 years in the field, I have been in the office for the last several years. Information posted is almost exclusively from memory.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: