Leaking hot water heater

Old 05-31-01, 06:46 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Hello: I have a 8 1/2 yr old Rheem 40 gallon gas water heater that has developed a leak around the drain spiget. I am wondering if I can just replace the spiget or should I get a new tank?? I drained the tank last weekend and tried to remove the spiget, but it is made of plastic and I started smooching the thing before I could remove it. I gave up cuz didnt want to damage it anymore. Is it designed for removal and replacement? Thank you, RickM
Old 05-31-01, 07:33 PM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 9,927
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello RickM

Yes. Those faucets are replaceable. If your having some difficulty removing them, your not alone.

You can purchase a spigot cap at any hardware store and install it very easily. Since the tank is already 8 1/2 years old, installing a cap is fine. Not a cure but only a remedy to hold you over until the tank leaks elsewhere and needs to be replaced.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: