Kitchenaid oven heats VERY slowly

Old 08-09-19, 04:17 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchenaid oven heats VERY slowly

Kitchenaid gas range model KGSS907SSS00, nine years old, cooktop works fine but oven can take an hour to go from off to 250 degrees and doesn't want to go higher. Sometimes an increase of one degree can take two minutes! This is equally true of regular and convect bake options. Repairman says it is the sensor AND the motherboard and is not worth repairing. I'd be grateful for your opinions and diagnoses. No error code is displayed BTW, but if I press OFF, OFF, ON I get a display like this:

STATUS L/D MOD ID 0101
AM16 UI15 EEKGO-245 (or 275?)

MANY thanks.

Old 08-09-19, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,423 Votes on 1,315 Posts
I'd recommend changing the igniter.
The igniter needs to glow bright red/white in order to draw enough current to open the gas valve.

Old 08-27-19, 10:35 PM
B
PJ, typically how long does it take an igniter to reach that stage after the oven is turned on? When I set the oven to 'bake' I hear two loud clicks but no gas flame ever appears in the bottom of the oven. I do not see the igniter getting hot.

Old 08-28-19, 10:55 AM
B
gas oven won't heat

First of all I apologize for coming back to the well with this same problem, but buying a new oven would just be tough right now. Nine-year-old Kitchenaid gas oven KGSS907SSS00 won't heat. I get no flame from the baking burner but the cooktop burners work just fine. Right away I suspect the igniter but then I notice that the broiler burner will not light either. Is this meaningful? Doesn't seem like both igniters could be bad, especially since we never use the broiler. Does it mean I have a faulty gas valve or control board? BTW this model has the electric heating element in the top surrounding the broiler. That works.

THANKS.

Old 08-28-19, 03:35 PM
D
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Find a drawing for the gas piping, The ignitor for the oven may be the same one for the broiler. They are inexpensive to purchase and replace. FInding them is the trick. Start with the drawing then shut off the gas before you put your head in the oven to remove panels to find the ignitor.

Best of luck

Old 08-28-19, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
I combined the two threads. Two threads on the same topic confuses everything.
This is your thread. No apologies needed to revisit it or reopen it.

Speaking of confused..... in your first post the problem was the oven wouldn't get hot enough.
Now the problem is the oven won't heat at all ?

The answer I gave you was based on low heating. That usually indicates a weak igniter. If you have no igniter glowing at all...... you need to check it for continuity. The oven and the broiler do not share igniters. There are two igniters and two sections to the safety gas valve.

It's highly unlikely the broiler igniter and oven igniter both just went bad. It sounds like they're not getting power which signifies a control board problem.

Old 08-28-19, 09:07 PM
B
PJ, thanks for combining the threads. Yes, now there is no flame/heat at all and you confirm my suspicion about the two two igniters. If neither igniter is getting current, then we must be looking at a bad control board. (And that is the most expensive outcome, of course.) . I'll have to pull out the range to check the igniters, and won't get to that until the weekend. Thanks to all again.

Old 09-03-19, 10:41 AM
B
Is there a way to check continuity on the bake electrode (igniter) w/o pulling out the range and taking off the back? When I unscrew the electrode from the inside and pull it forward I see only one insert tab connection, not a harness or two wires.

Old 09-03-19, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
There are two wires on the igniter. Sometimes there is a plug and sometimes there are ceramic wire nuts. The splice may have been pushed back thru the opening.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: