Gas oven makes "whoosh" sound

Old 08-30-19, 09:18 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas oven makes "whoosh" sound

My 20-yr-old Kenmore gas oven has been making a slight occasional "whooshing" sound for a few months. It sounds like air movement or a typical flame noise, but louder. It still seems to heat normally. The last time I used it, the sound was much more frequent; about once a minute. Please tell me this is an easy DIY fix! :-D

Old 08-30-19, 05:15 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 855 Votes on 789 Posts
Turn on the oven and look through the window or crack the door so you can look inside and see what's going on. When the oven is heating the burner should stay lit the entire time. If the flame is going out then you may have a problem. But, once the oven is up to the set temperature it is normal for the flame to go on and off as needed to keep the oven at the proper temperature.

Old 08-30-19, 07:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,475 Votes on 1,363 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Yes..... it's an easy fix. Replace the igniter.
Buy from a reputable parts retailer whether online or in your area.
Stay away from inexpensive replacements.

The ignition system is very basic. Power is sent from the thermostat thru the igniter to the safety valve. The safety valve will open fully when the igniter glows white hot and draws just over 3A of power. If the igniter doesn't glow hot enough the gas valve won't fully open and you get that whooshing on ignition. Usually you'll notice more of a gas smell too.

Name:  OVEN IGNITER.jpg
Views: 1407
Size:  10.5 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: