Pilot light on LP stove wont light. hooked it up to 100lb tank.

Old 10-31-19, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pilot light on LP stove wont light. hooked it up to 100lb tank.

Dovre DV400L - pristine propane stove, manufacture date 1999. gas goes in one side of gas valve but not coming out the burner side .. box# 770827498..

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-19, 04:24 PM
Anyone have any idea what could be wrong? We have purged the line of air, so we know that isnt the problem. We cannot seem to get the pilot button to push in very far so i wonder if maybe that is part of the problem.
But like i said above, gas comes in from the tank, and into the box (with on off pilot switch on it), but doesnt come out the other side to the burner.. clog?

I dont want to buy a new gas valve if i dont have to.. the one that is in there has a number on it # 770827498, and looking that up comes out to about $125... But if i do need one, I will buy it in a heartbeat if i know that will solve the problem.. any input? anyone? PLEASE?

Old 10-31-19, 04:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Wait a while. Guy who knows gas probably busy.

Old 10-31-19, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
It is likely not the gas valve. there is not a lot that can clog the valve unless something was changed.

How are you trying to light the pilot? Normally you have to turn aa valve on the gas valve and hold it in to allow gas to flow. Then you push the igniter to make a spark that will light the gas while holding the gas valve. When the pilot gets the thermocouple hot enough you turn the gas valve to "on" and then the burner should light.

Old 10-31-19, 04:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Push the gas control knob in all the way and hold. At the same time, push in red ignition button repeatedly until the pilot lights. Never hold the gas control knob in for more than ten (10) seconds if the pilot does not light. Once the pilot lights, continue to hold the gas control knob in for 15 seconds. Release the gas control knob and it will pop back up.

Many times it takes longer than 10 seconds to purge the pilot line.
Make sure you know where the actual pilot position is. Turn the knob off and then turn on. The pilot position is midway between on and off. The knob will only push in fully in one location.

Hearth and Home Dv400

Old 10-31-19, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 240 Votes on 219 Posts
When you say "pilot button" are you referring to the "piezo ignitor? If so, can you light the pilot with a lighter or match?

Or, are you referring to the pilot position on the gas control knob (on, off, pilot).

Old 10-31-19, 07:09 PM
Yes, the Pilot button on the On & Off knob.. Hold it in and push the red ignition button.. it DOES spark.. I can see it by the red igniter button and also inside the stove at the igniter and pilot. WE HAVE SPARK! but it doesnt light the pilot light.
We literally worked on this for a couple of hours.. bled the line to make sure no air was in the line.. one of the last things we did was loosened the hose line that comes from the tank, and you could hear it leaking out. Thats a good thing! THEN, we loosened the hose that comes from the gas valve to the burner inside stove, and nothing. no gas, no air, no nothing! Thats why i thought something might be blocking it?

Old 11-01-19, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
Until the pilot is lit and running for better than 30 seconds...... nothing will come out of the burner.
If you want to purge something..... disconnect the pilot line and push the button.
Do you get gas out of there ?

Old 11-02-19, 06:14 PM
Thank you everyone for your input.. I have the next couple of days off so i will try some of your remedies!

Thanks again!

Old 11-03-19, 05:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
THEN, we loosened the hose that comes from the gas valve to the burner inside stove, and nothing. no gas, no air, no nothing!
The gas valve will not allow gas to flow unless the thermocouple senses the pilot or the knob on the gas valve is held in.

You could disconnect the line from the tank to the gas valve and bleed the line, but I would just keep holding the knob down to purge the line.

Old 11-03-19, 11:00 AM
awesome!! Thank you! I will try that!

Old 11-06-19, 01:10 PM
Next time,

we will rember to install the pressure regulator!!!
works like a champ now...
Thanks everyone for your help!!!