Long Drying Time

Old 11-28-19, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Long Drying Time

I have a Frigidaire Crown dryer with an LP kit. Lately I have to keep extending drying time to get the clothes dry. (The washer spin cycle is fine.)
I can hear the burner lighting. Would this be thermostat issue, then?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-19, 07:23 AM
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
The most common cause is a dirty vent system.

Old 11-28-19, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
It is very important to clean out the entire duct system from the dryer to the outside hood.
Also... make sure the clothes aren't excessively wet from a poor spin cycle.

Old 11-28-19, 11:21 AM
Received 122 Votes on 113 Posts
Beyond the lint/vent there is a high temp sensor but it typ causes an on off situation vs long run time.

I just repaired my dryer for similar issue, it was the gas solenoids that were not operating correctly.

First step is to watch the burner for 5 min, it will cycle on/off for the demand of heat, if you see events where the ignitor lights up but burner does not light, that is a solenoid issue!

Old 11-28-19, 01:47 PM
My exhaust vent was completely clean so it has to be thermal control.

I just ran it on high heat. It was on for about 3-1/2 - 4 minutes. Off for about 2-1/2 minutes.

Not sure how long the burner is supposed to stay on, but I"m guessing that is not long enough.

Attached Images  
Old 11-28-19, 06:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Sounds like a coil problem. Do you have a thermometer that you can stick in vent tube behind dryer? If not this is a way to check. your flame will come on and heat dryer the first time Will last about 3 to 4 minutes. After that the flame will not come on till the dryer cools, Usually about a hour or so. Replace both coils on the gas valve.
With a thermometer we can check temps , a little more accurate Just read the other posts please post model# some of those type has a bad thermistor that will act like tha. Been retired about 5 years so may have gotten that bug out of them by now.

Old 11-29-19, 06:47 AM
if you see events where the ignitor lights up but burner does not light
Ignitor is in top left corner, did it every come on, glow, but burner did not light?

The fact that the burner is working means that the dryer is operating, the coils are still a high possibility. Good thing is they are cheap to replace, ours was around $12.

Read more here!

https://applianceassistant.com/Dryer...Parts-Work.php

Old 11-29-19, 06:37 PM
So I put a voltmeter on the back side of the thermostat and the burner was on for 4 minutes and then cut off, but the thermostat still had 19 volts on it, so that did not switch it off. The switch contacts stayed closed.

I then jumpered the orange wire coming from the high limit switch to the coils. The voltage was switching on that wire and cutting power to the coils.

So, while I had the orange wire jumpered, the burner was on for 3 minutes, then off for 2 minutes, then back on for 2:30 minutes. Each time the orange wire switched from 19 volts back to millivolts.

So, to me it sounds like the high limit is switching open at too low of a temp. Is that correct?
It can't be the solenoids if they're not getting power from the high limit, right ?

Old 11-30-19, 06:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
In 15 years I can count on one finger how many hi limit thermostats I replaced for low heat. Very rare. Try this disconnect dryer from vent and dry a load. Room will get hot and damp so open windows and door first. See if you are still having same problems. I know you cleaned vent but try this before you start throwing parts at it.

Old 11-30-19, 08:20 AM
As safety coils are going bad, they will work properly for a short period of time.

Then after a half an hour or so of cycling on and off to maintain the drum's temperature, they will breakdown and cease to open the valve.

This will result in cool, wet clothing at the end of the cycle.

Despite having voltage when they go bad they fail to function properly!

Old 11-30-19, 09:02 AM
Now I'm totally confused.

1. The vent has been off the entire time, so venting should not be an issue.
2. I bypassed the high limit, yet the burner still kicked off at about 2 minutes and never came back on.
3. I plugged the wires back onto the high limit and ran it while my finger was on it. I felt it switch and kick the burner off at 4 minutes.

Let me be clear..........I'm testing with the front cover off and the drum belt off. I'm not sure how that will effect on/off times.

Old 11-30-19, 09:11 AM
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
I do not work on gas units so may be way off the mark.
Also a model number may help others help you.

As far as I know the hi-limt thermostat is just a safety device.
If all is OK with the unit then it should never open.
The temperature/valves are controlled by the operating thermostat or a thermsitor/control board.

Testing a unit with the door open is not very useful as you have messed up the air flow in the unit.

Have you checked the lint filter and the holes at the back of the drum for cleanliness.
Residue from fabric softener can coat these and greatly reduce air flow.

Old 11-30-19, 05:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Proper way to check is a thermometer in duct to outside. A meat thermometer stuck in vent tube would work Dryer needs to be buttoned up. Temps should go up to around 165 and cycle down to around 100. Low temp not to important have seen many different ones. Should repeat this every few minutes. Model # would help a lot.

Old 11-30-19, 05:37 PM
Model # - CRGR5700AS2

I went back and found a big ball of lint in the front cover ductwork. So I decided to button it up and run a load (after replacing the belt that I'm sure I burned while sitting on the burner shield). I kept an eye on the peep hole and the burner was lit every time I looked, although I still had to add some time to the cycle. I ran some towels and bed clothes so that may account for the extra time, but I"m still skeptical.

I'll have to run another load of just typical clothes to see how it does. I will keep an eye on the temp.

How close to the outlet should I probe the temp?

Old 12-01-19, 04:40 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I tried to get as close to outlet of dryer as possible. I have wire probe that I can set into vent tube and than connect tube up. Usually to expensive you a casual use,

Old 12-01-19, 10:35 AM
Well, a paltry 92 degrees was all I could get out of it. Started on Medium heat and changed it to High and maybe got an extra 2 degrees. The burner was on every time I looked.

So this would suggest the coils.......correct?

Attached Images  
Old 12-01-19, 03:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't think of a dryer that has that low temp. Are you sure the flame is staying on or does it light for a few minutes than quit till the dryer cools down. If flame goes out and will not restart till dryer cools than coils.Coils are cheap would not hurt to change them.

Old 12-01-19, 04:29 PM
I wasn't going to lay on the floor looking thru the inspection hole the entire time, but I looked several times and the burner was on each time. And the temp never went above 92 with the burner lit.

If the flame did go out, then obviously the coils are opening to light the burner again. The burner ignited every time while I had the front cover off and was watching.

Can't it be that the solenoids are functional, but not letting enough gas through?

Old 12-08-19, 02:19 PM
Ok, so doing another load of laundry today.

The burner stayed lit for the entire first 30 minutes and got up to 145 degrees.
After the temp got down to about 115, the burner reignited.

Is that temp to low? Someone below stated 165.

That would suggest either a faulty thermostat or high limit, correct?

Old 12-08-19, 03:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
160 to 165 is normal high temp. Thermostat usually pretty cheap would try that. Low temp about right.