Breaker tripping when turning on GE Monogram gas stove to Bake

Old 11-30-19, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Breaker tripping when turning on GE Monogram gas stove to Bake

Evening All,
I have a GE Monogram 6 Burner Gas Stove (ZGP366NRSS), approx 2 years old and just out of warranty. My breaker has recently started to trip after turning the oven on Bake. Iíve checked the breaker (actually swapped it) and same problem, eliminating, bad breaker. What I noticed is that when I put the stove on BROIL it doesnít trip the breaker. Only when I turn it on BAKE after maybe 20-30 seconds. Any thoughts? GE charges $120 to come out then parts, Iíve heard some say it may be the ignitor as the broil ignitor is different than the bake ignitor, not sure. Any advice or help is appreciated.
Thanks & happy holidays.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-19, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
Is this an ALL gas device or does it have electric heating elements ?
What size breaker is it tripping ?

If it's a typical gas range it should be on a single 15A or 20A breaker.

Old 11-30-19, 08:13 PM
So this is all gas, 6 burner gas and gas stove, no electric. It has a 20A Siemens Type QAF2, AFCI, ARC FAULT Breaker, but I did change the breaker and same thing happened.

When I turn the stove to BAKE I hear a CLICK then maybe 10-20 seconds the breaker pops. If i turn it to BROIL HI or LO it works fine.

Old 11-30-19, 08:18 PM
Group Moderator
Hmmmmm...... a gas oven on an arc fault breaker. Very strange it trips on bake but not broil. Basically there is a two part gas safety valve. One half for the broiler and one half for the oven. Two separate igniters.

Is this receptacle just for the range or is it shared with other kitchen receptacles ?

Old 11-30-19, 08:25 PM
Just for the range. There is an outlet on the same breaker but nothing plugged into it and it's always been (I know now that stove should be one it's own breaker) but again this hasn't happened for 2+ years.

So do you think it could be the oven igniter? I was doing my googling and like everything there are 100 reasons, but saw a few that were similar, not w/ GE stove but sounded same...

Old 11-30-19, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
The range doesn't need to be on its own circuit. It's not supposed to be on the same circuit as any of the counter top receptacles.

Two things...... do certain lights come on the breaker ID'ing the fault ?
If you have a regular 15A circuit breaker....... try swapping that in place.

Old 11-30-19, 08:30 PM
I just noticed your in northern NJ, me too, Paramus area...

I don't see anything on the breaker when it trips, nor do i see anything on the stove.

I do have a regular 15amp breaker, but do you really think that's the issue? Since I've switched breakers and same issue happened, eventhough it was the same Arc fault breaker. Just seems odd. I'm not too electrical savvy, I can change a breaker (well i think I can after watching a few times).

Old 11-30-19, 08:51 PM
Group Moderator
You won't see anything on the stove as it just goes dead.
They make newer AFCI breakers with lights on them to indicate the reason for trip.

In your case we don't know if the breaker is tripping from an arc type fault or just a basic short.
If it trips the regular breaker..... then the oven is at fault.