Gas Range - Electrical Grounding Required?

Old 12-01-19, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Gas Range - Electrical Grounding Required?

Hi all - first time poster to the DIY Forums but a frequent visitor.

This weekend I purchased a Gas Range (Whirlpool WEG745H0FS) to replace my electric range. Gas is supplied to the stove alongside the 220v plug. As a precaution I leak tested all lines to make sure they were still good since I'm sure they've sat for a while (moved in to the house 4yrs ago - no history on the gas run).

My dilemma: My house is a 1940s house running old wiring throughout (no grounding wires). I've been replacing wiring in bits and pieces throughout the house to grounded Romex as I've found the old wire is deteriorating rapidly. With the new stove, it requires a plug-in to 110v vs. the 220v currently at the stove to run the basics (ignitors, clock, convection fan). None of my kitchen outlets are grounded currently. In reading the manual for the range, the specs state in more than one section that grounded outlets are a necessity (excerpts from the manual pasted below).

My question: Is this merely a strong suggestion/CYA on the manufacturers part, or is there inherent danger in using a non-grounded outlet for a gas range? I obviously know for the long term grounded is the way to go for most any circumstances. But in this case - I plan on doing a tear-down/remodel of my kitchen within the next year which includes all new outlets and wiring which comply with current electric code. I won't be able to get to this for at least a few months, so I'm wanting to at least get by for now using the ungrounded outlets as-is. That is, unless, there's an inherent danger above and beyond to an ungrounded range aside from other appliances in this situation (fridge, dishwasher, etc also fit into the same category currently).

Any input from others would be great. And before anyone says the obvious - yes I know the manufacturers instructions are key to any appliance install and should be adhered to. I intend on correcting this for the long term, but I'm more curious if anyone else is in the situation and can give guidance based on their experience. Thanks all!!!

From the manual:

IMPORTANT: The range must be electrically grounded in accordance with local codes and ordinances, or in the absence of local codes, with the National Electrical Code, ANSI/NFPA 70 or Canadian Electrical Code, CSA C22.1.

Electronic ignition systems operate within wide voltage limits, but proper grounding and polarity are necessary. Check that the outlet provides 120-volt power and is correctly grounded.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-19, 06:43 PM
Received 45 Votes on 43 Posts
I looked up the unit and it said touch activated electronic controls from that I assume it is a glass type panel and not a bubble type keypad.

On this type of controls grounding properly can be important for the proper operation of the keypad.

Now I did not suggest this but
You should currently have 3 wires going to the stove.
You just have to get a new 120 volt breaker for your panel and re-wire it.
So black is hot, white is Neutral and red becomes a ground,
I would also tag the red that it is now ground.

Treat the panel with care as they are moisture and grease/grime sensitive.
Use a damp rag when cleaning it never soaking wet.
And never, never ever steam.

​​​​​​​Note that I do not have experience with running this unit ungrounded.

Old 12-02-19, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Appreciate the non-suggestion manden lol. The range was delivered today and I took a deeper look into the instruction manual. Exactly as you stated - there's a disclaimer deep in the manual that states the control touch panel will not work unless there is a proper ground.

Oddly enough I ran my outlet tester through my outlets again today. I was able to find 1 outlet that is grounded per the tester in the kitchen - not sure how I missed this the first time testing. I followed the wire to the basement and sure enough it seems a previous owner ran a dedicated wire to one outlet that is grounded back to the panel. So for now, I'm covered. Again not ideal since I have an appliance extension cord running across the back of the counter - but it'll get me by until I finally move forward with the full reno/rewire of the kitchen.

Appreciate your thoughts/response!