Whirlpool WGD4800XQ1 Igniter not glowing

Old 02-25-20, 06:48 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool WGD4800XQ1 Igniter not glowing

My dryer's igniter won't glow. The igniter tests fine, i.e., has continuity. Same for the flame switch. Gas valve solenoids test fine. Thermal fuse shows continuity. All thermostats test fine. The dryer will occasionally heat, but not for too long. Any suggestions for what to check next?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-20, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 585 Votes on 551 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Did you try running it in timed mode instead of automatic ?
Did you try running it with the duct off ?
A partially clogged exhaust will cause short cycling.

In the diagram below.... I highlighted a red and light blue wire. That is the 120v that feeds the burner. You need to monitor that and see if that is shutting down when the burner shuts down. If it does..... the problem is before the burner and not any of the burner parts. If that voltage stays there and the burner won't light or shuts down.... you need to troubleshoot the burner section.

Name:  wp 4800.JPG
Views: 25
Size:  112.6 KB

Old 02-26-20, 04:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
Short cycling is caused by one of 2 things. #1 and most common is a clogged dryer vent to the outside.Take off vent tube from back of dryer and try dryer. If works you have found the problem (clean Vent) #2 the other reason is bad coils. If dryer works for a couple of minutes and won't relight for about a hour the coils are bad. Will check good when cool always.

Old 02-26-20, 05:53 AM
M
I've tried running it in timed mode, with no luck. Occasionally, if I let it run for a while, it will heat up a bit. However, it usually won't heat at all. The igniter doesn't glow at all on start up. It doesn't heat up with the duct off either. I'm stumped. (And really frustrated.)

Old 02-26-20, 08:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If there is a open anyplace in igniter circuit it will cause a no light. None of the parts are self setting so a open will show up. You will not get a flame if any of these parts are bad. Don't have a wiring diagram in front of me to help better. If you get a flame on start up after it sits a while than coils. Coils are fairly cheap replace them both.

Old 02-26-20, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 585 Votes on 551 Posts
I posted an actual diagram from the tech sheet for that unit. Is it not visible ?

You need to conquer and divide. I told you what to check. There should be a two pin plug at the burner. Leave it plugged in and check for power there. It should be 120v when the burner should be running.

It could even be timer issue from that crappy timer.

Old 02-26-20, 11:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
my bad didn't scroll down

Old 02-27-20, 05:59 AM
M
So this morning I found out that by pushing and holding the timer knob down, I can get it to light. I think it's safe to assume that I'm dealing with a timer issue.