Kenmore oven ignites, flame dies, gas keeps leaking

Old 05-01-20, 10:05 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore oven ignites, flame dies, gas keeps leaking

We have a Kenmore 790.71319700 gas oven. I recently noticed a strong gas smell when I turn the oven on. At this point, here's what happens: I turn on the oven, igniter starts to glow, oven ignites within a minute. Then, pretty quickly afterwards (sometimes within a minute, sometimes within 5 seconds), the flame dies out, but I can still hear the gas hissing and there's a strong gas smell. I turn the oven off at this point.

The igniter is only about a year old (previously, it wouldn't light reliably). I just cleaned the holes in the manifold pipe (they were already clear). I checked for continuity in the safety valve, and it reads a few ohms.

Why does the flame die out even though the gas is still flowing?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-20, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,204 Votes on 1,114 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The igniter is critical to correct circuit operation. I've found that not all replacements operate the same and some are not suitable for a suggested appliance.

I would replace the igniter with a different brand.

Old 05-02-20, 06:17 AM
B
Thanks so much for writing back. Before I buy another igniter (this last one worked fine for the last year), once the flame is ignited, what would make it go out again so quickly (and before the oven reaches temp)? Still igniter?

Old 05-02-20, 12:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,204 Votes on 1,114 Posts
If the gas was shutting off...... it could be a control problem.
You're saying you still hear the gas hissing which means the call for heating is present.

The system is very basic. There is the igniter and the safety gas valve in series. The igniter needs to draw near 3.2A for the valve to open properly. You can check the operation with a clamp on current probe.

Name:  OVEN IGNITER.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  10.5 KB

Old 05-02-20, 06:32 PM
B
I think I'm understanding. So according to your diagram and what you were just saying, the igniter will always be "on" and glowing so long at the stove hasn't reached temp. It doesn't just turn on (glow) to ignite the gas and then turn off. Is that right?

I apologize if I'm a little slow on the uptake, but I greatly appreciate your responses! Thank you so much.