Flame Sputtering Noise from Water Heater??

Old 06-13-01, 08:02 PM
Bart Beaudin
Visiting Guest
Question

I am having a flame sputtering noise come from our gas water heater. Is there something I can clean to stop the sputtering?

Old 06-13-01, 08:58 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Arrow More Information Requested

Hello Bart

Not much information for me to go on here.
Several conditions can cause the problem discription.

The info I would like to know to best advise you.

The age of the water heater.
The type of unit it is. Tank type or other type?
Energy source...nat gas or propane?
Location? Inside or Outside?
When did this begin happening?
Are any other appliances displaying odd signs or noises?

By posting more specific details and the info requested, would allow me to avoid providing advice which does not apply. Your assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco

Old 06-14-01, 08:43 AM
Bart Beaudin
Visiting Guest
Cool More Details on Sputtering Problem

Tom:
Thanks for your guiding questions...

The age of the water heater. 15 years old
The type of unit it is. Tank type or other type? TANK
Energy source...nat gas or propane? GAS
Location? Inside or Outside? INSIDE
When did this begin happening? 6 MONTHS AGO
There is no other appliance making strange sounds.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-14-01, 01:32 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Excellent Repies...Thanks!

Hello Bart

That sputtering noise is most likely caused by restricted burner ports on the round burner head. Often times a sinple cleaning does cure this problem. The remained of the time it isn't a good sign.

3 possibilities are likely.

Normal dust and lint have restricted the burner ports and or secondary air shutter. Removal of the entire burner assembly, cleanong the burner head and reinstalling it cure the problem.

Another possibility is soot! If there are other problems which cause flame distortion, complete gas combustion will not take place and black soot will form. This is not a condition the doityourself person should attempt to correct. Therefore, if soot is present inside the firebox, get professional help from your gas ulitility or a licensed plumber.

Water. Yes, water inside the firebox. Considering the age of the tank, it may have water inside the firebox area. If so, the tank has leak either in the firebox or the vent flue within the tank. Tank replacement time.

Back within the archives of this forum, other questions where asked on this topic and removing and installing the burner assembly. Those should offer you more information on the required proceedures.

CAUTION:
Anyone reading this posting reply should not attempt to take any corrective actions on any water heater that displays visual signs of soot either inside the firebox or around the area of the appliance.

SOOT indicates there is a major problem with the appliance that should be evaluated to determine the EXACT cause. This should only be done by a licensed plumbing professional.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: