BBQ shopping: Webber q2200 or BroilKing Gem 320

Old 10-23-20, 06:47 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
BBQ shopping: Webber q2200 or BroilKing Gem 320

There are only 2 of us, but on occasion 4 adults (but 95% of time just the 2) These are the two more popular international brands available here. The Broil King seems to pride itself on its dual tube burner system, the Webber on its lids (which have porcelain.

I like that the Broil King has 3 burners where the webber has that one circular type, using the outside burners on the Broil King should make indirect cooking easier, where the webber you have to raise the chicken or whatever you are cooking. Both can produce smoke easy enough either with your own smoker tin or one of their brands.

Both cost about the same once you add a cart to the q2200.

I use coal BBqs as well but this is for convenience of instant gas.

Any thoughts on which one to go for?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-20, 06:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 682 Votes on 629 Posts
First off, you are comparing a 12k btu table top Webber against a 24k btu free standing BroilKing so it's sort of an apples to oranges comparison. They are two fundamentally very different grills. One is a small, sexy portable designed to work with small disposable propane cylinders while the other is a full(ish) sized free standing grill that uses a 20lb cylinder. The Weber can use a 20lb propane cylinder but you would have to buy the hose kit separately... and figure out where to set the grill and propane tank.

Personally I would pick the Weber. My 35 year old Weber still looks great and is getting regular use and I have two other large Webers, each over 10 years old, and one is in a salty coastal environment (so, that brings me to currently having four Webers). I have a Weber Q1200 which is the smaller brother to the Q2000 you are considering. All the Webers cook better than any low to mid range grill I've used and they hold up much better. I've tried other brand grills and after a year or two I'm fixing things and a few years later I'm tired of fixing it and I get the old Weber out. I've tried several other grills from home centers and big stainless monsters from Costco and I always end up getting the Weber out of storage and give the other grill away or just put it at the curb.

Webers are generally good at even cooking but their burner size, especially on the Q series tends to be less powerful. You are comparing a 12'000 btu Weber against a 24'000 btu BroilKing so they will cook very differently. The Webers rely on a good preheat to get the heavy cast iron grate and grill body up to temperature before cooking while the BroilKing does it with brute force and will heat up much faster. The benefit of the Weber approach is the heat is more evenly distributed and it's more stable. With the Weber temperature corrections are slow, even and predictable while the BoilKing will react to dial changes much faster but that can create hot spots and it can be easier to miss your desired temperature. I think three burners is too much for a grill so small as the BroilKing. It's as if they are padding the specs but multiple burners could be helpful to only use one or two burners when you're just cooking for two.

Old 10-26-20, 02:14 AM
D
Hmmm thanks, I didnt realise was such a big power difference as the ratings here are done differently.

Nobody here uses disposable tanks on a webber, normal 9kg Gas bottles. I didnt know you could use the disposables with the webber.

The instant heat from the Broil King sounds good but the price of the baby q without a stand is half the price and is plenty enough cooking space for the two of us.

Old 10-26-20, 06:16 PM
D
Urgent pls: BBQ, Gas and a Coal BBQ?

Ive read many reviews, it seems the consensus is go a small gas bbq with smoker tin for flavour and a coal BBQ for larger audiences and planned BBQs and possibly low and slow cooking.

I thought the Weber q1200 is a good choice for the gas BBQ? I liked the 3 burner Broil king and its burner design plus the flavour wave, but it seems everybody recommends a Weber....

As for the Coal burner. Im really undedicded and its less urgent. Im considering a Kettle, or a Kamado for overnight cooking, maybe even a pellet burner (not cheap), or Im considering building my own as I have the perfect spot on an island of triangular paving in the landscaped small backyard.

So I have a hard surface already, I just dont know whether to drop a cast iron plate on it, which is customary here down under, or to build some kind of kettle system with a cover. Id like to use wood as we have gorgeous smelling native tea tree here called "Manuka" and "Kanuka", very similar looking but you can tell by the leaves. This is what the world has gone insane on with NZ Manuka Honey (its a load of BS imo). Normally people here just use brick and mortar, but Id probably render mine. These style of fast burners generally do not have thermostats as the wood sits directly under the hot plate. Would like pointers to any other styles from around the world that arent too hard to build.

Any thoughts?

Old 10-26-20, 06:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,185 Votes on 1,097 Posts
Threads on like topic combined for better continuity.

Old 10-26-20, 07:44 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
I won't rehash the details about the specific grills, but I always recommend Weber. My Weber Genesis is still going strong after 20 years, with only the grate and flavorizer bars being replaced. Family has a larger, newer Genesis which practically looks new out of the box after 8+ years.

I've recommended Webers to friends who have gone with the cheaper box store brands instead, and I just have to laugh (to myself) after 2-4 years when theirs is falling apart.

There are a few other brands out there that are comparable in quality and workmanship, but I'll still stick with Weber.

Old 10-26-20, 10:51 PM
D
Well I have to be honest, Weber MILK every last $ for basic BBQ essentials, on that side they are a bit of a qimmick.

I got the Baby Q 1200, I have to say putting it together it feels very fragile, plastic parts where I expected metal etc. I presume these are made in China?

Hopefully it has better lifespan than it looks like it will. Is about the right size for 4 burgers.

Mrs got a 9kg swappa gas bottle (prefilled gas bottles that are checked for compliance, so no need to wait for a fill), my mistake for not telling her to go with a 2kg bottle for portability.

So a total of $550 spent, the cart is $170, thats $820 in total, more than the 3 burner Broil King Gem 320.

They are flappn expensive for a tiny BBQ. You can get a camper grill for $40 from the hardware store if portability is the go.

Having buyers remorse, and I blame myself. I usually over analyse things, but I should have looked at the Weber closer, instead I just went with what everybody else says to do. I think there is a lot of popularity in the brand simply based on not wanting to admit the not so good things about it, like the quality feels flimsy etc.

I was raised with BBQs feeling like they were made to last and made from heavy duty metals. I realise the q1200 is made to feel light for camping etc.

Oh well, one thing for sure is they retain their sales price, they go for nearly the price of a new one here.

And I might be proven wrong about the lightweight parts durability, I hope so.

If I get the coal burner right, I will feel more like a BBQ'r, which is an Aussie/Kiwi tradition due to our weather and abundance of game meat, grass feed beef and lamb and going out in your boat to catch monster fish to put butterflied under the BBQ.

Old 10-27-20, 06:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 682 Votes on 629 Posts
My Q1200 is 4 years old (I thin) and it spends it's life bouncing around in the back of my flying trailer. It gets weekly use and is not treated gently so I would not be concerned about it's durability unless you beat on it with a hammer.

I have done real wood smoking and it is the best. Unfortunately it is more work and requires your attention. It's not bad for a quick 1 hr smoke but when doing a 6 or 8 hour smoke that's a long time to have to stay close. I prefer electric. No, it's not as good as fire but being able to set the thermostat and go away to do something else is a huge benefit. A good compromise would be a pellet smoker but they are not cheap and I would protect it from the elements when not in use to help preserve the motor and electronics.