Gas dryer will not heat

Old 06-16-01, 10:42 AM
Visiting Guest
Can anyone help me determine what is wrong with my gas dryer? Based on earlier posts from those with similar problems, I suspected the ignitor. I checked the ignitor and found it had continuity. So I checked the voltage to the ignitor. It has voltage, but less than what I expected. The voltage to the ignitor is 25 volts. Is this the proper voltage for the ignitor? The dryer is an Admiral model LNC8744A80. Thanks.

Old 06-16-01, 11:41 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Arrow Glow Coil and or Solenoids

Hello and Welcome Victor to the Do It Yourself Web Site and thanks for posting a question in my Gas Appliance forum.

Regardless of voltages to or for the glow coil, the glow coil must glow. It must be HOT and glow an INTENSE bright yellow orange color. If not it's burnerd out. If it fails to glow at all it's also possible it's burned out.

Other possibilities: Pick and choose what applies to your dryers current condition.

Restricted Exhaust Vent:
Check the entire system. This also includes the exhaust vent hood outside. It has a flapper that may not be opening fully or not at all. Locate any restriction within the entie exhaust system and clean out all lint. Replace exhaust vent tubing as needed.

Defective Solenoids:
There are two...both are on top of the gas valve.
You'll need to either remove them from the top of the gas valve or remove the entire gas valve assembly. Take to your local appliance parts store for testing. These also supply voltage to the glow coil.

Defective Gas Valve:
Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire unit to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable. Replacement is the only option.
CAUTION: Do Not attempt to repair the gas valve!

Defective Glow Coil:
It's a rare possibility but worth noting here. The glow coil may just be too weak to allow current to continue to flow to the coils. The coils are also part of the elrctrical loop.

Timer:
Control center for all functions. If the timer or any other selection switch is suspected of causing the current problem your having with the appliance, be sure all selections are correctly set. If so, the timer or other function selected switch may be defective. Any or all of them can be removed and taken to the local appliance retail parts store for testing.

Safety Reminder:
ALWAYS be positive you have unplugged the electrical power and turned off the gas supply to the appliance prior to attempting any repairs!

Check the archives, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and also for cleaning the exhaust venting system for further information.

Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 09-01-01, 12:36 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

hi ,
i have some pine doors that i would like to colour .
should i use woodstain and then wax/oil over the top?
if i use stain , should i use water or solvent based?
or should i use coloured wax?
i would like a soft matt finish .
thankyou in advance .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: