gas pipe near kitchen stove

Old 11-20-20, 09:21 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down gas pipe near kitchen stove

hi, currently my stove is placed in the middle of the kitchen wall and i want to put it in the corner and turn it 90 degrees (so it faces front but related to the adjacent wall). a person/repair suggested that the only thing that'd need to happen is to extend the flexible line to where the stove would be and turn it and tuck around the corner of the walls, which is about about 4 feet to the right. that would tho leave exposed the 10" pipe and the joint of the flexible pipe + a outlet )where currently i believe a pilot of the stove is connected) and will also have the pipes be near the side of the stove so want to ask if this would be a problem. in other words it'll have exposed gas pipes running next to the side of the stove. what i'd think would be best to do is to have those pipes tucked inside the wall but that would mean to make a bigger job that seemingly they are not willing to do at this time. so wanted to ask if should proceed with this or just leave the way it is, although it's currently very inefficient.
tnx!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-20, 10:08 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
The maximum length of flexible gas line is often dictated by your local codes. Many limit it to six feet while others only three feet.

I would not attempt relocating the gas line with flex. I would tie into the existing gas line and extend it. You did not say what your gas lines are (rigid steel, soft copper, CSST...) but some have their own installation requirements so make sure you follow those rules & regulations. Then install a shutoff behind the stove and use a normal, short length of flex to connect to the stove. Don't forget that your new gas line work needs to be pressure tested or at the minimum a thorough bubble soap test for leaks.

Old 11-20-20, 10:34 AM
J
thanks for replying.
yes there's a rigid (not sure what metal, but same as sold at home depot, seems steel) pipe connected to the pipe coming from the wall on which there's a valve, so the repair person is extending that rigid pipe about 2 feet to the corner and then connecting the flex pipe for behind the stove.
my concern was if there's left exposed pipes in the kitchen and also having the oven near them (the pipes run as close to the wall as possible and then the side of the stove would be also as close as possible to the pipes) so was wondering if like cooking with the oven and such would heat up the gas pipe to become dangerous. also it's clearly not aesthetically perfect but that's another issue..
thanks again!

Old 11-20-20, 11:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 628 Posts
Don't worry about the heat of cooking affecting the gas line. You'd need an acetylene torch to hurt rigid pipe with heat. The big concern is damage from being bumped or hit. That's why you can't run flex everywhere. Your rigid steel pipe can easily withstand the sharp corner of a stove or fridge banging into it where a flex pipe/hose might get punctured.

Old 11-20-20, 06:26 PM
J
Great, thanks for this, really helpful!
Greetings, hope you're well