Maytag oven produces half-baked results

Old 11-22-20, 09:03 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag oven produces half-baked results

I own a Maytag range about 20 years old, model CGR3760ADW, see pic. The last repair I performed was to replace a slow bake igniter (glow bar) about 3.5 years ago. The symptoms I'm currently encountering are that if I set the temp to 400, it takes 8.5 minutes to attain that temperature starting with a cold oven, which I think is too long. Normally the food comes out fully cooked/baked according to the time in the recipe with a pre-heated oven. However, now I'm finding that after the recommended bake time, the food has remained under-cooked. Adding another 5 minutes, and then another 5 doesn't seem to matter. In the last instance I was baking biscuits with a recommended baking time of 14 minutes. After the additional time didn't help, I gave up and let the biscuits sit in the oven without turning off the gas. I returned to the oven some 15 - 20 minutes later. Much to my surprise, the biscuits were now done. The heat might have come back on to complete the baking. My initial thoughts were that igniter may have gone slow. Then I ran an experiment. I turned the oven to bake and started a stopwatch. I could see the igniter glow and it took about 35 - 40 seconds for the gas to light, which tells me this is not a slow igniter. So my question for you experts is, what's causing this behavior? What are the next troubleshooting steps I should take?

Old 11-22-20, 09:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,343 Votes on 1,241 Posts
It's not a slow igniter but unless it's glowing almost white hot it may not be opening the valve fully.
I would definitely try replacing the igniter. When you choose one.... don't pick the cheapest you can find. There are many offshore igniters that aren't made to exacting standards.

The bake circuit is very simple.... on a call for baking (or broiling) the igniter is in series with the gas valve. The current draw of the igniter opens the valve.

Drangd voted this post useful.
Old 11-23-20, 09:10 PM
A
PJmax, thanks for your response. I do have a question concerning the circuit diagram. Does the in-series gas valve allows the current to pass through regardless of whether the valve is open or closed?

I browsed various online sites for igniters. I'm getting the impression that Whirlpool is the original manufacturer of this igniter, so if the online site shows it's made by Whirlpool, it is manufactured in the US. Here is one that looks promising:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/maytag-12...itor/128125402

Old 11-23-20, 09:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,343 Votes on 1,241 Posts
The power always passes thru what is called the safety valve. It opens when a certain amount of current is drawn thru it. As the igniter gets hotter..... the current draw goes up. There needs to be at least 3.2A of current flow for the valve to open.

Whirlpool OEM Part #12400035
That Maytag looks like an OEM part too.

Old 11-24-20, 07:33 AM
A
PJmax, thank you for explaining. I've ordered the part ... it'll be a few days.

Old 12-08-20, 03:11 PM
A
I replaced the igniter. It still takes 40 seconds or so open the valve and light the flame, and still takes about 8.5 minutes to reach the temperature. The real test will come when I next bake a cheesecake, which normally takes 40 minutes of baking time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: