Replacing gas shutoff for appliance

Old 02-27-21, 06:19 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing gas shutoff for appliance

Hi,
The shutoff valve behind my gas range is rusted and need to replace it asap. HD has them cheap but plumbers cost looks too high. Thinking of diy. My questions are:
1) If i shutoff the main gas in my basement, will i have to stop all other gas apps like furnace, water heater etc? Do i need to re-light them?
2) Can i put the shutoff quickly cnd open the windows to let any gas escape?
Any reason this is not diy? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Old 02-28-21, 05:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 851 Votes on 786 Posts
1. If your appliances have standing pilot lights you will need to manually re light them. Appliances with spark ignition light the flame themselves and there is no pilot light. It may take them a while to light because the air in the lines will have to be purged before the gas gets to them.

2. "Quickly" depends on you, your shutoff and how hard the old one is to remove. With the right wrenches (big) even a tough one comes off pretty easily though. Make sure to follow the proper installation methods for your type of gas line and valve as CSST, black iron and flared copper are all different.

Make sure to leak check the connection with bubble soap.

Old 02-28-21, 05:14 AM
Received 339 Votes on 305 Posts
Do not try to replace the valve while gas is on. Too dangerous. Any spark from tools could ignite the gas. As PD suggested, how you fast can you do it? Without practice it won't be fast.

Old 02-28-21, 06:09 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 167 Posts
To add, when you disconnect the old valve, be sure you're securely holding the pipe coming up through the floor. You don't want the connection below to start unscrewing, as that's another connection that would need to be re-tightened and leak-tested.

Gas piping isn't difficult to do DIY, but there is more of a risk if you get it wrong. With something like a valve replacement, as long as you leak-test the connections (as you'll want to do for the flexible range piping too), you'll be fine.

If you want to share a pic, we can help with the details too.

Old 03-03-21, 12:56 PM
C
Had the range recently installed but didnt notice they removed the old valve. I have a wrench. The only issue is if i need to stop the fas at the main. I have the meter in the basement and believe the main shutoff is close-by. Any clues?
also i was not talking about other impacted appliances. I have a water heater and a furnace and not sure if i need to light the pilot for them after stopping the shutoff.

below is the pic.

Old 03-03-21, 01:12 PM
You had the range installed?
Then the installers turned that valve off. Even though it looks rusted, most likely it's fine.

Old 03-03-21, 05:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,473 Votes on 1,361 Posts
The delivery company will not remove or change a valve. If they couldn't turn your gas valve off.... they would have left. They don't carry insurance for any type of replacement/repair work.

You will more than likely need to shut the main valve off at the gas meter.
We cannot tell if your gas appliances use a pilot but if they do they will need to be re-lit.

Old 03-09-21, 06:39 PM
C
The delivery guy told me its too rusted and he cant install. Then in few min told me that he can remove it and i said ok. Thought it was simple to get it installed. Pseg wants 250 and i see the valve is only 15.
The main question is if its a diy for a newbie. I am quite hands on and have installed a few water shutoff. Is it as simple as stopping the main supply, removing the pipe above and installing the shutoff. I assume the valve is between the rusted part and the large nut.

Old 03-09-21, 06:47 PM
C
Sorry, maybe i am being st*. Is the rusted part above a valve? The right hand side looks like a knob? Should i try to turn with a wrench?

Old 03-09-21, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,473 Votes on 1,361 Posts
In the picture #3 is the valve. The lever on the side is a pointer.
It's pointed to ON. When you turn it 1/4 turn to OFF..... the gas to the appliance is off.

To replace valve.... make sure house gas service is turned off.
1) disconnect #1 - gas flex line.
2) remove #2 adapter.
3) remove #3 gas valve.
While removing the gas valve you will need to hold the pipe (#4). You may need a second wrench.

The gas valve is 1/2" NPT both ends.
You'll need thread compound to seal the threads on the gas pipe and the adapter.
After turning gas back on you must check all fittings for leaks by using soapy water and a brush.
A leak will bubble with the soap.
Relight all pilot lights in the house.

Old 03-11-21, 04:21 PM
C
Thanks for the detailed explanation. One last one. Below is the side img. I tried using wrench to turn the knob using a wrench. It didnt move with a lot of force. Any idea what could be the problem ? Dont want to break anything.

Old 03-12-21, 05:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 851 Votes on 786 Posts
The valve might be corroded in place. You can also shut the gas off at the meter but you might have to relight pilot lights if you have them.

Old 03-12-21, 10:55 AM
C
If turning the knob you mean the part with ring on top it appears that it is fully open and can only turn 1/4 turn to open or close. Are you saying it can not turn it to the left to shut it off?

If that is the case then you can just leave that valve on since it is open and add a 2nd shut off above it, at least as a temporary fix. You would still need to shut off main gas to do it though.

Old 03-12-21, 11:00 AM
That's correct. If it's corroded as it appears. But I'm betting the internal surfaces are OK. I have had very hard to turn gas valves that needed a wrench to shut off that 1/4 turn.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: