GE gas dryer doesn't completely dry

Old 06-20-01, 09:49 AM
gscottm
Visiting Guest
I own a 1997 GE gas dryer, model DPSQ475GT4WW. When running it in the automatic (non-timed) cycle, it dries, but the cycle completes before the clothes are dry.

I disconnected the vent and vacuumed it and the interior of the dryer.

I ran a load with the vent disconnected from the machine and the clothes were still a bit damp after the cycle completed, so I know it's not a venting problem.

I can hear the gas light (there is a click and the burner comes on; I can feel heat through the door) but I can't tell how long it stays on. It clicks on 4 or 5 times during the cycle.

I put an ohm-meter on the thermostat located at the front of the dryer, below the door, when it was cold and the reading was 0.

What would be the next thing I should check? I'd really appreciate some help.

Old 06-20-01, 01:26 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello gscottm

Close by the thermostat should be the moisture sensor. I am not sure exactly where it is but most commonly they are very near by. The moisture sensor could be defective or covered with lint or blocked from free flowing exhaust air.

Before you attempt any testing or repairs, run a load of clothes on auto dry first. If the clothes dry completely, it's not the moisture sensor.

The manual setting does cause the problem your having since the timer is overriding the sensor in that setting.

Another rare possibility could be the washer. If the washers spin cycle does not run long enough or correctly, too much moisture will be left in the clothes causing excessive drying times.

When you cleaned the exhaust, you did inspect that outside vent hood? Often times the flapper does not open fully or is restricted from opening fully. Could be restricted with lint. If not checked, check it too.

Old 06-20-01, 06:03 PM
gscottm
Visiting Guest
Hello Tom:

Thank you for your quick response.

I am assuming that the moisture sensor is the 2 silver metal pieces, sort of like 14 guage wire, at the inside bottom of the drum housing. They are clean as can be, both lint and scum free. I rubbed the pieces down with vinegar to get any crud off of them.

I've only been running on automatic drying and having this problem. I've not been running it on manual setting.

Setting the dryer on 'automatic cotton' results in the small load still being damp, necessitating running the machine a second time to dry the load. The timer knob starts turning toward home within a couple of minutes of starting the dryer. I can feel some heat on the door and top of the dryer. (If I open the door during the first run, there is warm laundry in there, so I am getting some heat.)

When I cleaned the exhaust, I cleaned everything, including the flapper door. I haven't even had the dryer connected to the vent since 2 loads before I wrote my initial question, nor have I been running it in the manual setting.

The washer is fine, the clothes are the same dampness they've been the last 4 years, as best I can tell.

Is there a replacable moisture sensor or is it controlled by thermostats? I have a heat gun I can use to check a thermostat if you can suggest which one I should test or anything else.

Thank you for any help.

Old 06-20-01, 07:32 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello gscottm

Thanks for the updated info. Your dryers problem discription is well worded and written. Sure helps on this end.

Yes. The sensors are round and have wires attached to them. There should be two small screws securing each.

There could be three sensors but if you only find two that's okay also. I would suggest you mark both sensors and the wires, remove them and mark the wires to that timer and remove it also.

Take them into the local retail appliance parts store and have them tested. The counterperson will know the measurement values the sensors are set to work at.

They can also test that timer. It may be having an internal contact points problem and allowing the dryer to shut down too early. Be aware that the timer controls everything the dryer does. It has to work correctly and may not be.

That's about all I can think of gs.
Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.
Please be advised that although I have spent 18 years in the field, I have been in the office for the last several years. Some diagnostic information provided is almost exclusively from memory.

Old 07-02-01, 10:32 AM
Visiting Guest
regarding ge dryer

Hello, Tom is right gscottm, you really make things easier,it seem as though you have a pretty good knowledge of what you are doing,I suggest you check your timer. You said"The timer knob starts turning toward home within a couple of minutes of starting the". If it really does that your timer contacts are bad.....Tom is a good technician and very smart.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: