Another weird range igniter troubleshooting mystery

Old 04-04-21, 06:50 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Another weird range igniter troubleshooting mystery

Hi, I have an 20-year-old GE Monogram Range, and I'm not sure where the problem I'm having lies. Here's what's been happening for about a month now:
  • * Sparking WHEN NOT LIT: Ticking happens constantly when not being used. (I just turn off the breaker unless we're cooking). Nothing is wet or greasy, I've cleaned it all up nice.
  • * ALL ELECTRODES appear to WORK: All burners can be lit by their respective igniter electrodes. The spark on all igniter electrodes looks like the same “level”/”quality” of spark to me.
  • * Three of four burners don't stop the sparking WHEN LIT: Only one of the burners stops the ticking when lit. The other three light, but ticking persists. One more thing to note: I'm 99% sure it's the FIRST burner switch on the harness / first igniter named on the module if that means anything. (I have a schematic, but it's a bit newer and I didn't tear the stove apart again to check the wiring yet.)

So, three igniters seem to have lost the ability to sense the flame. I'm leaning toward either some wiring along the way is flaky (maybe mice?!), or there's a ground issue at each of the burners??? Also note, some of the screws holding the burners down are rusty and so i can't reseat the burners to try and fix some grounding issue without a lot of trouble. I was thinking of swapping the wiring on switches/electrodes into the module to see what might change, but I figured I should ask first, it might be totally obvious.

So, any advice on what thing is definitely bad, or a sequence of troubleshooting would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Old 04-04-21, 09:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
The module always sparking could be a defective module or one of the switches on the burner knobs is shorted. The fact that the other burners don't shut off when lit would point to a defective spark module.

Please post the model number from your appliance.

Old 04-05-21, 05:48 AM
M
Thanks - the model is ZDP36N4DW2SS

Old 04-05-21, 09:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,480 Votes on 1,368 Posts
I can't find much technical info on that model.
Can you double check the posted model number for me ?
Is that a five burner range ?

Old 04-10-21, 05:54 PM
M
Itís four burner and griddle. I found the repair manual/schematic online and noticed it was for a newer version. Specifically I opened it up and canít locate the reigniter module in the top, front, or bottom.

I think the 2 should be omitted, so:
ZDP36N4DWSS

thanks!

Old 04-14-21, 06:31 PM
M
Found the reigniter, in the top under the burners. Checked the ignition switches and some have continuity while not only in the light position, so I read that means they are bad. But I think the module is bad too. Found 6540S0001 module that looks identical and has same specs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: