Magic Chef Gas Cooktop

Old 06-21-01, 11:39 AM
Visiting Guest
I have a Magic Chef gas cooktop that all four burners are clicking and a small spark jumps from the element to the burner. Any idea how I can stop this? Each time it "sparks", it clicks.

Many thanks.

Old 06-21-01, 06:37 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello and Welcome JFlanagan to the Do It Yourself Web Site and thanks for posting a question in my Gas Appliance forum.

The most likely cause is a defective capacitor in the spark modual. If so, it has to be replaced. These items are not repairable. Replacements are available at the local appliance retail parts store listed in the phone book.

Another possibility is moisture got on one or more of the switches during cleaning. Excessively wet sponges or cleaning clothes allow water to get onto the switches which will cause this problem, if applicable.

If so, then remove everything on the stove top and lift the lid, if applicable. Remove any clear plastic covers on the valve stems, if there are any and pass warm air over the switches using a common hair blow dryer.

The idea here is to dry out the moisture if there is any. Don't laugh...this trick works!...

If you attempt to do any repairs, be sure the electrical power is turned off or the stove is unplugged.

If you choose not to do the repairs yourself, contact the dealer's local service agency.

For the time being...unplug the appliance and light the burners with a match.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.
Please be advised that although I have spent 18 years in the field, I have been in the office for the last several years. Some diagnostic information provided is exclusively from memory....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: