O'Keefe & Merritt propane conversion

Old 08-11-22, 11:28 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
O'Keefe & Merritt propane conversion

I recently picked up a vintage O'Keefe & Merritt stove for free for an off-grid project and have been given an ultimatum that it needs to be operational or be removed. So far I have the fittings necessary to take the 3/4 natural gas line to 3/8" propane with an adjustable regulator. The burners work well enough but neither the oven nor broiler flame lights whatsoever. This would not be a deal breaker -- the main issue is the pilot lights. They are prone to go out when the propane is regulated down to a level that is suitable for the burners and this is a safety issue if the ovens are slowly filling with unignited fuel.

So the main task now is to try and figure out if the pilot lights can be eliminated, capped or screwed shut. Manually lighting the burners / oven is preferable to the possibility of a pilot going out. This seems like it shouldn't be too difficult for anyone who knows what I am working with, the particular fittings present on these pilots.

Here are a couple images I shot, first one inside the oven, the other inside the broiler:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/LXzgMPA4FHUSiRpHA
https://photos.app.goo.gl/o8pLECvFahSLTnPC9

It seems like they might have some kind of slotted screw on the end of these, though maybe better would be to remove the entire pilot assembly and screw some kind of compression nut on what looks to be the existing 3/16" gas line, then test the seal with a lighter and the regulator on full. Does anyone know what these small gas lines are called so I can look into finding the appropriate compression fittings? Any ideas would be great.

Old 08-11-22, 11:31 PM
J
could this be what I am looking for?
https://www.mhoxygen.com/product/tub...-to-316-brass/

Old 08-12-22, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry.... it sounds like you are playing with fire.

You need to adjust the incoming fuel pressure to match what the internal regulator needs or replace the factory one. You need the range to work on one incoming pressure.

Did you change the burner orifices ?
Doesn't sound like it.

You cannot "remove" the pilots. Yes.... you can manually light a burner but what happens when the oven reaches set temperature ? Typically the gas valve closes via the thermostat and reopens when the temp drops but that requires a pilot to relight. Some valves throttle the gas down when temp reaches set point and then turns it back up when temps drop. You don't have that type of valve.

Modifying what you have there is beyond what I would get involved with.
I would recommend posting at antique stoves.

Old 08-12-22, 10:25 PM
J
Thanks for helping me visualize how the oven burner needs the pilot to turn on and off as the temperature is regulated .. I just removed the pilots today thinking that I will find a brass cap for the lines as they leave the main manifold. In this case I suppose the stove could still be useful without turning on the ovens.

Old 08-13-22, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
Do check the link I left you. They are very helpful with older appliances.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: