Gas Dryer Stopped spinning

Old 07-28-01, 08:37 AM
Visiting Guest
I have an older gas dryer it is a Sears Kenmore model #77510110. It seems to have stopped spinning during a drying cycle. It still is heating up but not spinning. I think it would be some kind of belt or what ever makes the drum spin. What kind of job is it to repair this and where do I start. Parts needed ect

Old 07-28-01, 09:20 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello and Welcome rick31064 to the Do It Yourself Web Site and thanks for posting a question in my Gas Appliance forum.

If the dryer heats up and the drum does not rotate, before attempting to fiz something, check the control panel. Some older models had a "NO SPIN" cycle.

This SPECIAL cycle would allow the burner to turn on and heat the interior yet not allow the drum to rotate. It was used to dry shoes, etc. using an optional rack installed in the drum for drying items without spinning.

If this is NOT the case on your machine, you'll need to remove the lower back sheet metal cover and check the belt. May be broken. If so, you'll need to remove the front door panel and the lift the top to access the belt, etc.

Safety Reminder:
ALWAYS be positive you have unplugged the electrical power and turned off the gas supply to the appliance prior to attempting any repairs!

FYI:
The do-it-yourself person can do electrical tests and continuity tests on several of the parts. However, neither of these tests will provide proof positive the part is actually functioning correctly. Therefore, do not rely solely on either test.

TIP:
Best method is to determine if any part is funtioning correctly is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the potential culprit, and have the local appliance parts store person run the required tests.

Check the ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic for further information. It is adviseable to inspect, clean the exhaust venting system whenever working on a dryer.

Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 07-29-01, 05:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Question dryer stopped spinning

Thanks for the reply Tom.Found the bad belt. Now where can I get a new one?
TIA
Rick

Old 07-29-01, 07:10 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Rick

Any and all appliance parts are available at the local appliance parts stores listed in every phone book under the heading appliances.

If the belt is still looped around the pulleys, make a hand drawing of exactly how it is looped around them. Paying close attention to this detail prior to fully removing the belt will save time and possible fustrations later.

Be sure to write down the make, model and serial number and take it with you so you get an exact replacement part.

Regards & Good Luck with the repairs.
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: