Whirlpool Gas Dryer Doesn't Run

Old 08-03-01, 12:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi: I have a Whirlpool gas Heavy Duty Super Capacity Imperial 6-cycle Infinite Temperature Dryer. I had just finished two cycles and started a third load. I opened the door to add one more item to it. I pushed the start button and nothing happened. I know nothing about appliances or electricity but can follow directions. I did check the fuse box, and it is not blown. Also, the other appliance that is plugged into the outlet is still currently running. My guess is that it is the start button or something in the door latch but I really do not know. I don't know what to check to find out. Please help me. It has been three weeks now. Thank You So Much Um Nizar

Old 08-03-01, 05:51 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Several Possibilities

Hello UmNizar. Welcome to my Gas Appliance forum.

Let's start with the two easiest possibilities first.
Check the door safety switch and the start button.

Hold the button depressed in with the drum emptied and the door opened using your finger and turn the dryer on. If the dryer works, release the button. The switch works.

If the dryer fails to run in the test suggested above, the switch may be defective. It may be necessary to also check the start button.

Both parts can be tested for internal contact connection using a continuity test light or ohm meter.

The door safety switch {that extended button in the door frame} is the part that pops out when the door is opened. This button controls the entire operation of the dryer when it's running. The entire appliance will fail to operate if this button does not make internal contact when the door is closed.

The start button could also be defective. To determine this, the appliance must be unplgged from the electrical power source first. Access to the button will have to be accomplished by removing the back panel. Then a continuity test can be performed.

The only positive proof any part is functioning correctly, is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the potential culprit, and have the local appliance parts store person run the required tests. Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Check the ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic for further information. It is adviseable to inspect, clean the exhaust venting system whenever working on a dryer.

Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.
Please be advised that although I have spent 18 years in the field, I have been in the office for several years. Information posted is almost exclusively from memory.

Old 08-04-01, 04:46 PM
Fyxxez
Visiting Guest
It could also be a thermal fuse blown. Cleaned your vent lately?
Check out applianceaid.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: