magic chef gas range

Old 08-06-01, 08:16 AM
Visiting Guest
I have a Magic Chef Range Model #3488VVV Serial #14492426. All four burners on the stove do not light. There is gas but no spark. The burners are the sealed type. I am looking for the following information: Does the top lift off. If so , how? where is the ignition module located? What would be the approximate U.S. price for a replacement module. Is there any way to test the module? If not the module what else could the problem be.
. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
BOB

Old 08-06-01, 05:49 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Bob and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

Since all 4 sparker fail to spark, most likely the modual is defective or there isn't any electrical power to the appliance.

Sealed burners can be accessed throught the burner itself. Lift the burner cap off and you'll find 1-3 screws that will need to be removed. Then lift out the burner.

To locate the the spark modual, look under the stove top by removing one or two of the burners. Some models have a rear panel that can be removed to gain access.

Be positive the elctrical power to the appliance is turn OFF first, then check for electrical continuity through any fuse you find. The fuses element may visually appear to be unbroken but electrically not functioning internally. The fuse is generally located at the end of the electrical power cord close to the oven burner gas valve.

Read the manufacturers online web site for additional product information, problem solving methods, pictorials and schematics. Check the ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

FYI:
The do-it-yourself person can do electrical tests and continuity tests on several of the parts often used in ovens. However, neither of these tests will provide proof positive the part being tested is actually functioning correctly. Therefore, do not rely solely on either test.

TIP:
The only positive proof any part is functioning correctly, is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the potential culprit, and have the local appliance parts store person run the required tests. Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.
Please be advised that although I have spent 18 years in the service industry, I have been in the office working for the last several years. Some diagnostic information provided is exclusively from memory....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: