Kenmore Gas Dryer not spinning

Old 08-07-01, 03:06 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a newer Kenmore 70092990 Digital Display Gas dryer. When I press start, I can hear the relay kick in to try to start the motor and the timer starts counting down like it is running, but the drum does not spin. Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Old 08-07-01, 05:43 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Dewey2 and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliance forum.

I do not profess to know everything about the digital machines. However, what you can try is turning the drum by hand while the machine is OFF.

The idea here is to verify the drum is free to rotate. If it fails to turn, something somewhere is jamming it up. If this is the case, you'll need to locate whatever it is and remove it.

You may need to remove the lower rear panel cover to view the belt if not able to see it through the burner access panel. What needs to be determined here is if the belt is broken.

You mentioned relay which is also a possibility. The starter motor windings or the motor itself may be defective. If that is the situation, the motor would have to be removed and taken to the local appliance parts dealer for testing.

Be sure to unplug the dryer prior to removing any part. It's adviseable to inspect, clean the exhaust venting system whenever working on a dryer.

Read the manufacturers online web site for additional product information, problem solving methods, pictorials and schematics.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 08-08-01, 10:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Tom, drum turned, removed panel, nothing obvious. Called in the experts. My wife was not up for me playing do-it-yourself with loads to be done before leaving on vacation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: