how do i install a gas hob and electric cooker?

Old 08-08-01, 04:05 AM
Visiting Guest
i have recently bought a whirlpool gas hob and electric cooker that i want to replace in my kitchen. there is an existing gas hob and electric cooker already in place, can i just replace new for old? this is the first time i have tried this and am a bit nervous, any tips or advice would be appreciated
Tom Carter - UK

Old 08-08-01, 05:45 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Tom and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliance forum.

Thanks for mentioning UK. Helps lots because here in the USA methods and codes must differ. However, the basics remain the same.

First item to locate is a gas shut off valve nearest the appliance. The pipe should be near or behind the appliance. The valve has to be turned off prior to attempting any work.

Once you find it, turn it off and double check that no gas comes out of the burners of the appliance. Then carefully remove only the gas connection at the appliance.

There may be an adaptor on the pipe which is on the appliances manifold. If so, remove it also.

Then install the adaptor onto the new appliance. Install the appliance and connect the gas connector to the adaptor.

Make up a soapy water solution. Turn the gas valve on and soap test for leaks at every connection point you removed and reinstalled.

Be aware that some connectors do not interchange with newer appliances. If you need to replace the flex gas line and any other parts, stop in at your local hardware store for advice and parts.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco

Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: