maytag gas dryer

Old 08-08-01, 10:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

hi;ihave a 1981 maytag gas dryer model#ldg710 with itermittent ignition device.It would run for a few minutes and then it'll turn off.After a few minutes the pilot would come on and stay on without the burner igniting.sometimes if I turn the dryer off for a while and restart it again the process will start over again.I can say the times that the burner stays on varies so much that our cloths will evantually dry but it would take a long time with a few restarts. I would appreciate your advice. regards; kgiben

Old 08-09-01, 07:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile Maytag dryer ignition

Kgiben,

Replace the coils on top of the gas valve. This is a very common problem. You can order the ones for your model here http://www.repairclinic.com/0081.asp?RccPartID=2780 It's only $33.65 and we have dozens of them in stock.

Old 08-09-01, 08:19 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Solenoids and or Gas Valve

Hello kgiben and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliance forum.

Based upon the information posted and the fact that the condition seems to be an intermittent problem, it could something as simple as a restricted pilot.

My guess is the intermittent ignition device {Clackson sparker device if memory serves me} you mentioned is the type that used two contact points on extended metal arms. One moveable and one stationary.

When the moveable arm was activated by the timer, it came into contact with the stationary arms contact point, creating a spark to light the pilot. This contact and sparking action happens quickly until the pilot lights.

If the above happens to be the ignition type on the dryer, the pilot may be restricted with lint or dust. The pilot flame should be all blue. No signs of yellow.

The pilot on this type of system heats an element which in turn opens the gas valve. Therefore, several possible problems with the parts. The pilot flame may be restricted. The element defective, the solenoids defective, flame sensor could be defective and or the gas valve could be defective.

Solenoids:
There are two...both are on top of the gas valve.
Solenoids also supply voltage to the glow coil and are part of the electrical loop. You'll need to remove them from the top of the gas valve by removing the entire gas valve assembly first. Take them off the gas valve body by removing the holddown cover plate or take the entire gas valve unit to your local appliance parts store and have the entire assembly and parts tested.

Defective Gas Valve
Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable. Replacement is the only option if defective.

Flame Sensor:
This part is located on the burner housing. If it's defective, it will cause the problem your discribing.

TIP:
The only positive proof any part is functioning correctly, is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the potential culprit, and have the local appliance parts store person run the required tests.

Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Refer to the manufacturers online web site for additional product information, problem solving methods, pictorials and schematics.

Check the ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered. It is adviseable to inspect and clean the exhaust venting system whenever working on a dryer.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.
Please be advised that although I have spent 18 years in the service industry, I have been in the office working for the last several years. Some diagnostic information provided is exclusively from memory....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: