electronic ignition

Old 08-15-01, 11:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

The other morning at about 4:30, I was in my office and heard the electronic ignition of my Thermador cooktop sparking. I had used the stove several hours before; it had been quiet in the interim. I went down and turned all the burners on, thinking perhaps they needed drying out. The sparking continued when I turned off the burners. I turned off the gas at the supply line, flipped the circuit, and cleaned the (already clean) burners. I checked the holes -- all clear. Now, several days later, to use the stove, I have to go to the basement, turn the electricity (circuit) on, turn the gas on, etc., then do it all in reverse when I'm finished. Good exercise, but I'm getting a bit weary of it. Even though when one burner sparks, they all do, I suspect one is the culprit: the control knob of this one comes off easily, with no resistance. I've tried pushing on it while it's in the off position, thinking perhaps I've lost some fitting inside, but it makes no difference. The electronic ignition keeps sparking. What do you think? Thanks for any suggestions.

Old 08-16-01, 02:07 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello SLink

Good possibility one of the switches located on the stove top burner valves is stuck in the closed position.

To determine which one, turn off the electrical power and do a continuity test on each switch.

The switches may not have to be removed from the valve stems to accomplish this. Simply pull off the attached wires to each switch.

If you have to remove the switches, just lift it up off the stem. Do one at a time. Re-attach the 2 wires, reinstall the switch and do the next one.

If all switches are opened, most likely the electronic spark modual is defective. In that case, it will have to be replaced.

Parts are available at your local appliance parts dealer listed in the phone book or from our online parts sales advertiser.

Check the archives within this forum of other questions and replies on this topic.

Regards,
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: