gas stove oven not lighting

Old 08-18-01, 02:25 PM
Visiting Guest
We have a General Electric Gas Stove, self cleaning automatic pilotless ignition. When we turn the oven on, the glow bar turns orange but the oven will not light. The broiler works fine. I was able to light the oven with a match. Is the glow bar bad? or the ignitor?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-01, 05:32 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Glow Coil

Hello Eap1 and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances forum.

The most likely cause is the glow coil. If it's orange in color while glowing, then it is not glowing hot enough to function correctly.

A hot glow coil, working correctly, will glow an intense bright yellow orange in color. Too much orange, any reddish color or a dull orange means the glow coil is weak. Replacing it should solve the problem.

If you plan to replace any part yourself, the only positive proof any part is functioning correctly, is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the potential culprit, and have the local appliance parts store person run the required tests.

Read the manufacturers online web site for additional product information, problem solving methods, pictorials and schematics. Patronize our online sponsor, who's ad appears on this web page, for additional information and online parts sales.

Check the ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

Old 08-07-11, 05:22 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heating Element (pilotless Ignitor) works inconsistently

I have a 220V Admiral (Whirlpool) gas stove with pilotless igniter. Maytag / Admiral / Whirlpool Model LBR1415AGW Serial # 10532622GR Stove

Recently, the igniter and the converter were replaced after using them for approximately 6 months. This stove was bought brand new and shipped to East Africa where we are using it on 240v volt electricity in Kenya. The stove has been on a Hivolt guard and now a Volt guard (both high and low volt protection).

6 months ago, the heating element was totally dead. Converter was bad as well. Don't know why. Replaced them both. No idea why they went bad other than maybe low voltage somehow damaged something. Stove was on a 'hi volt' guard the entire time. After element and converter went bad a few months ago, we put stove on a volt guard protecting it from high and low voltage problems.

Just recently we noticed the heating element (pilotless ignitor) will not consistently heat up. It seems to heat up when we first start the stove after it has been off for awhile. But if we change the temperature at all via the control knob, the ignitor seems to go dead and the stove cools off - the ignitor stops heating. This has been happening inconsistently. Sometimes, the ignitor will not heat up (turn orange) at all.

I'm guessing the converter and the igniter is not the problem since it actually works (sometimes). Could it be the thermometer? Is there another problem I don't know about?

I still don't know why I had the first ignitor/converter problem and now I've got the problem I'm explaining above. Does any one have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Dan

Old 08-08-11, 06:34 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Dan and Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic.

I am not familiar with duel or multiple voltage appliances. Let alone those purchased state side and relocated in any foreign country using any other voltages non USA. All I can do here to provide you some assistance is to call the manufacturer and/or inquire about such problems at a local retail appliance parts dealer in that area. Very likely they have encountered that problem your appliance has and resolved it.

I too suspect the problem is not with the glow igniter (HSI) nor the gas control valve. More likely to be caused by the voltage regulator. If that has not properly controlled the voltage, it may have damaged more than just the HSI. May have damaged the main/central control board. A rather expensive part. You'll likely need to have a qualified local appliance service agent diagnose the problem(s) and submit an estimate for repairs.

You combined your question with one from almost 10 years ago. (???) Already outdated but some of the possible conditions may apply. Read the sticky note: Additional Advice and Information Here:
Read the Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Informational Sticky Note, in this forums topic, for more detailed information.

Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information, Fault Codes & Mfg's Web Site Links Range/Stove/Oven/Broiler Info, Leak Detection, Fault Codes, Fuel Conversion & Links - DoItYourself.com Community Forums Try to determine if any advice within it are or may be possible solutions to the existing problem regarding computer control boards etc. Regards and Good Luck.