Replace the drum rollers on my gas dryer

Old 08-21-01, 10:08 AM
Visiting Guest
Cool

I need better information on how to replace the drum rollers on my gas dryer. I have replaced one once before--the bottom roller. I did not replace the other roller because I was to ignorant of how to access the roller. It should be easier that I tried to make it.???

Old 08-21-01, 06:04 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Myxtplkdiy and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliance forum.

Keep in mind that the word 'drum' is a generic term.
There are two types of drums. One is nothing more then a tube {tub without a bottom} The other type is an actual tub.

The tube type usually has rollers in the rear and the front is supported by glider pads on the door frame.

The tub type has a bearing in the rear for support. Some use rollers to support the front while others use glider pads as mentioned above.

You can tell the difference by looking inside the drum. If there are bolts of some type in the rear center, it's a drum. If not, it's a tube type drum.

Basically, you'll have to remove both the front panel and top panel. Then remove the lower rear access panel. Make a hand drawing of how the the belt is wound around the pulleys and then remove the belt. Then remove the drum.

Notice how the rollers are currently secured. Remove the securing device. The securing device may be a "C" clip or cotter pin. May have a washer against the roller. Methods vary.

Remove the rollers. Replace them with a new rollers and re-secure the rollers exactly as you found it. Then reassembly the entire dryer in reverse order of how you took it apart.

Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book under appliances. Patronize our online sponsor for additional information and parts sales.

Refer to the manufacturers online web site for additional product information, problem solving methods, pictorials and schematics.

Check the ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered. It is adviseable to inspect and clean the exhaust venting system whenever working on a dryer.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: