gas hot water heater

Old 09-25-01, 04:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Angry

I have a 10yr old gas hotwater heater #fsg 40 210 A.O. Smith Water Products Co. The drain valve leaks small amounts of water out of it daily. The valve is closed so I do not think thats the problem. Do you think that because of theheaters age I need to just replace it. bobalou

Old 09-25-01, 01:10 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello and Welcome bobalou to the Do It Yourself Web Site and thanks for posting a question in my Gas Appliance forum.

The drain valve {Spigot/Faucet} can be capped. Caps are available at any hardware store.

Capping the faucet does not pose any hazard. Depending upon the current condition of the tank, you could replace the entire faucet valve, if you care to also.

To address you last question, I assume you mean replace the valve and not the tank. You do not need to replace the whole tank. Nor do you need to replace the faucet drain valve. The cap works fine.

10 years is about the normal life of a tank. However, many last several years longer. A leaky drain facet valve is not an indication of a wornout out tank. However, after 10 years of age it is a good idea to check it periodically for water leaks else where.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 09-29-01, 02:10 AM
Visiting Guest
make sure if you cap it the cap has a hose thread on it not national coarse

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: