Trouble with gas range

Old 09-25-01, 05:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Hi, I have a GE gas range that I converted to propane. I have been using it for about 3 years.

The other day the oven quit working. The electic pilot comes on and lights the burner under the oven but the flame is very small. The flame is normally much bigger. At first I thought I had run out of propane but I filled the tank and it still does not work. The burners on top work fine.

Help

Thomas

Old 09-25-01, 01:34 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Thouser. Welcome to the Gas Appliances forum.

The most likely cause is a defective oven burner gas valve. However, a weak glow coil can also cause the problem if the oven uses a glow coil.

A quick test is to tap the burner tube or gas valve with the back end of a screw driver while the burner flame is small. If the gas valve is defective, the burner flame should either enlarge to it's normal size, which means to valve is defective. If the flames remains the same small size, gas valve is still defective.

If the oven uses a pilot light flame which heats an element, that element may be weak or wornout. It may also need to be replaced.

Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book under appliances. Patronize our online sponsor, who's ad appears on this web page, for additional information and online parts sales. Read the manufacturers online web site for additional product problem solving information.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: