tappan needs tapping to work !!

Old 09-30-01, 02:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

Hi ! We have an older Tappan 4 - burner gas stove with electronic pilot lights for the burners and oven.

The model # / serial # is 30-2239-23/02178-89271632. The burners are in perfect working order so I know gas supply is not the problem. When we attempt to use the oven, the thermostat behind the knob clicks and the pilot element below the oven in line with the burner element gets red-hot.

About two weeks ago we could light the gas with a lighter by holding it up by the burner element. Now it won't light....
Out of frustration and my son's desire to bake a cake I tapped on the gas tube coming up from below the oven
and it lit by the pilot igniter. Once the oven reached 350 degrees the thermostat clicked, the burner went out and the pilot shut off. After the oven cooled slightly the thermostat clicked again, te pilot/igniter started glowing again (red-hot) but no gas smell, no ignition, no flame.
Took my trusty tapper and thumped on the pipe and i lit.

Am I the victim of a clogged/dirty pipe, a faulty safety valve of some kind; can you tell from the numbers I gave you how old this unit is, and would it be more economical just to go shopping for a new range!! Thanks in advance for whatever advice and information you can give me.... The cake came out fine!!

Old 09-30-01, 05:02 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Glow Coil and or Gas Valve

Hello bobalou

Even thought the glow coil glows red hot, it may not allow sufficient current to flow back to the gas valve. It could have too much electrical resistence within the coil itself.

The gas valve may have a defective solenoid valve. In which case the glow coils normal voltage it is sending isn't enough to lift the solenoid.

There could be a bad connection within the wiring terminals, a defective or faulty grounding, defective fuse, fuse holder, etc.

By your tapping on the burner tube to get the burner to lite indications most likely the glow coil is defective and or the gas valve that suuplies the gas to the ovens burner.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for additional product information, problem solving methods, repair proceedures, pictorials and schematics, if available.

A source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers test and carry replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers if you stop in at the store. The info will help to determine possible problem causes.

As an alternate source for additional information and part sales, you may elect to patronize our online sponsor and check the Electric Appliances forum for parts.

BTW:
The stove you have isn't so old that replacement of the entire stove is needed. The fact that it has an electronic ignition and a glow coil oven means it really isn't all the old. Therefore, fixing or having the one you have fixed is a good choice.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco

Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: