gas oven not igniting

Old 10-02-01, 07:56 AM
Visiting Guest
My oven was not working. So I replaced the glow bar. The bar does light, but it takes about 15 seconds before I hear gas coming out and I leave on for a few seconds and it still wont light. Need to turn off because of the gas smell. Any suggestions.

Old 10-02-01, 02:09 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Stanzman. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and the Do It Yourself Web Site.

Double check the position of the glow coil. {Bar} Be sure it's positioned correctly.

Also check the ignition holes/slots/ports, whichever type is used, in the burner. All must be clear and unrestricted. The ignition ports will be very close to the glow coil {Bar} on the burner.

If everything mentioned above is correct or clear, then it is possible the gas valve isn't opening fully. A partially opening gas valve will allow some gas out but not enough to light, hence the gas odor but no flame.

A delay of 15 seconds isn't too long if the glow coil {Bar} is burning red HOT. A bright intense yellow orange within that time frame.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for additional product information, problem solving methods, repair proceedures, pictorials and schematics, if available.

Read the ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco

Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: