Kenmore Gas Dryer Doesn't Heat

Old 10-11-01, 09:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi
I have an older model (so old I'm not sure of the model number <grin>) Kenmore gas dryer. After checking the clothes I found them to be still damp and cold. I reset the timer and tried again, the gas never lit. After pulling off the bottom plate, I found the pilot light was out. I tried relighting it but I just couldn't get it lit. I never heard any gas come on. Any suggestions??

Thanks,
Chris

Old 10-11-01, 01:18 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Ckim25 and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliance forum.

If the dryer does infact have a constant {always lite} burning pilot light, chances are good the fluid safety element is burned out.

My assumption here has to be that the dryer does have a constant burning pilot light. If you have to hold a lever and light the pilot flame, then it does. Be sure to hold the lever back for at least 60 seconds b4 releasing it.

If this is what you have to do to light the pilot, then it has a fluid safety element. It's that element that is burned out and needs to be replaced. Be sure the pilot light is burning blue and not yellow also.

Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book under appliances. Patronize our online sponsor for additional information and parts sales. Also check in the "Electric Appliances forum for info and parts.

Refer to the manufacturers online web site for additional product information, problem solving methods, pictorials drawings and schematics, should they be available.

Check the ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

Reminder:
It's adviseable to inspect and clean the exhaust venting system whenever your working on the dryer.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: