Gas dryer won't shut off in Auto cycle

Old 10-16-01, 03:22 AM
williamsea
Visiting Guest
Hi,

I have an early 90's GE gas dryer. When I am using the cotton (High heat) cycle in the automatic drying mode the dryer will dry the clothes to about 95% dry (burner appears fine) but then appears to get "stuck" with a little while to go on the control knob. It has run for over 2 hours and not stopped (clothes were dry but not warm after I stopped it manually that cycle) If I put the dryer in "fluff, no heat" and automatic mode it completes the cycle just fine. In timer mode it works fine. I pulled it apart yesterday and there was a wiring diagram inside that seemed to say that there is an drum exit temperature sensor (Hi temp) that is in series during the "cotton" cycle but not the "fluff" cycle. I am guessing that this is my problem, but was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. Thanks for the help

Eric Williams

Old 10-16-01, 01:40 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: Eric

I think you have discovered the problem. Replace that sensor before any other part and the dryer should work correctly.

Thanks for mentioning that you did in fact find the wiring diagram somewhere inside the dryer cabinet. I have often mentioned that there is always one located somewhere on the appliance, unless removed prior.

Your acknowledgement of finding it may be the first time it was mentioned within the forum... Tanks...

Reminder:
Always adviseable to inspect and clean the exhaust venting system whenever your working on a dryer.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: