gas waterheater

Old 10-30-01, 04:44 PM
terrycc
Visiting Guest
Hello All,
Iam having trouble with my gas water heater. When trying to light depress the red button until the pilot flames, then when I turn the control valve to on the pilot flame goes out. I beleve that I am holding the primer button long enough to heat-up the pilot. Are there any steps that I'm missing or maybe you can suggest some possible places to troubleshoot. Thanks in advance!!

Old 10-31-01, 01:55 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Terry and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliance forum.

First place to check is the gas supply. Be sure the valve on the pipe suppling gas to the water heater is on fully.

If the water heater is the only gas appliance, there may be a problem with the gas supply, gas meter, etc. If there are other appliances on gas and they work correctly, the problem is isolated to the water heater.

In that case, replace the thermocouple. The condition you discribed could mean the tiny amount of current produced by the thermocouple isn't enough to open the burner gas valve in the control.

The overload, on the thermocouples current production, causes the pilot to drop out {go out} when you turn the control to the 'on' position, as you explained. Replacing the thermcouple should correct the problem.

If that doesn't solve the problem, the magneto head may be defective. The magneto head is the part one end of the thermocouple screws into. It is also a replaceable part.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: