Gas Stove


  #1  
Old 11-01-01, 09:49 AM
Guest
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Exclamation

While cleaning my oven recently the electric starters began clicking incessantly. No gas was on, but the three starters were all firing. I eventually unplugged the appliance and now light the unit manually. Any ideas?
 
  #2  
Old 11-01-01, 02:48 PM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 9,927
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello rhgeary. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Moisture during the cleaning process found it's way onto one or more of the switches. Excessively wet sponges or cleaning cloths allow water to get onto the switches, which will cause this problem.

If this happens to be the case, then remove everything on the stove top and lift the lid, if applicable, since not all stoves have liftable top lids. Remove any clear plastic covers on the valve stems, if applicable and pass warm air over the switches using a common hair blow dryer.

The idea here is to dry out the moisture, if there is any. Don't laugh...this hair dryer trick often works!...

Another possibility is a defective capacitor in the spark modual. Spark moduals are not repairable. The entire part must be replaced. Replacements are available at the local appliance retail parts store listed in the phone book.

Another cause could be reversed electrical polarity. The plug end will have 3 prongs. It must be directly connected into a properly wired and grounded wall recepticle. Reversed electrical polarity over a long duration of time will destroy the spark module.

DO NOT use 2 prong extension cords to lenghten the existing appliances electrical wire. DO NOT bypass the grounding pin on the end of the appliances electrical cord. Doing either of these will also damage the spark module.

If you attempt to do any repairs, be sure the electrical power is turned off or the stove is unplugged. If you choose not to do the repairs yourself, contact the dealer's local service agency. Until then...unplug the appliance and light the burners with a match.

TIP:
The only positive proof any part like a spark modual is functioning correctly, is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the potential culprit, and have the local appliance parts store person run the required tests and or help make the final determination.

Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart...

Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.
 
  #3  
Old 11-02-01, 02:13 AM
Guest
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Smile Thanks

Must have been the moisture, cuz hair dryer trick worked...rg
 
  #4  
Old 11-02-01, 02:33 PM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 9,927
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: rhgeary

Glad the hair dryer trick worked.

Thanks for posting back the positive results too.

Always nice to know that a problem has been solved.

Regards,
Tom_B
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: