Propane Conversion For Old Wedgewood Stove

Old 11-04-01, 11:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a very old (50+ years) 40" Wedgewod stove that I need to convert from natural gas to propane. I cannot make out the model # because the nameplate is missing, but I have two othe Wedgewood stoves and they are all different on the exterior, but the guts are all identical. My stove has four burners, a center griddle, an oven and a broiler. I have inquired around about this and have only gotten vague answers. What I need are step by step instructions. I have excellent mechanical abilities, all I need is the info. Thanks to anyone who can help me.
Semper Fi

Old 11-04-01, 03:51 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Gas Conversion Information

Hello Mofugly13. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Basically, on any appliance conversion, all the burner orifices will need to be replaced. For stoves with appliance regulators, the regulator will need to be replaced or converted.

Stoves from that era usually do not have appliance regulators as OEM equipment. The gas inlet tube {manifold} has an adaptor installed on it and is connected to a gas line via a flex or aluminum connector.

What your going to need to buy is propane burner orifices for all burners. Stoves of that era usually have about 8,000 BTU orifices for the large stove top burners. Ovens and broiler burners are approzimately 18,000BTU's.

Try locating the conversion parts at the local appliance parts retail stores. Inquire about conversion parts and the need for a propane appliance regulator from the propane dealers and suppliers.

Since natural gas orifices have larger drill size holes then those for propane, replacing all the orifices will be needed. Reducing the drill size holes of existing orifices is possible but rather time consuming and may be difficult for the do-it-yourself person.

A trick would be to take an existing orifice from each top burner of a different sized burner, {1 large burner and 1 smaller burner} the oven and broiler orifices to the dealer and they can determine the correct size propane orifice based upon the current natural gas orifice size.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 03-14-12 at 07:16 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: