Connecting up a gas dryer

Old 11-11-01, 11:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I just bought a gas dryer and I was told I need to call my gas company to connect it up. How hard is it to connect up a gas dryer? Should I not fool around with this and call my gas company?

Old 11-11-01, 01:29 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello BStew and Welcome to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliance forum.

If your not handy with pipe wrenches and adjustable wrenches nor able to relite the pilots on any other gas appliances that may have pilots in the house, by all means contact your local gas utility.

You'll need to turn of the main gas supply outside the house if there isn't already a shutoff valve installed on the gas supply pipe or it is not the correct sized valve.

Since I haven't got a clue what type of gas your using {natural or propane} nor what state or country your located in, I'll have to make a few generalizations.

Below is a brief outlined excerpt from several prior postings on this topic.

Since your planning to install the machine yourself, dryer installation kits are available at all hardware stores. You'll need to purchase the 1/2 inch by 3/8 inch matching shutoff valve seperately. The installation kit does not come with the required shutoff valve.

You'll need to turn of the main gas supply at the meter first if the existing gas feed pipe either has a cap installed on it or the incorrect existing shutoff valve.

You'll need pipe wrenches to remove the cap on the gas pipe coming out from the wall or to hold the pipe from turning while removing the incorrect size shut off valve or pipe cap.

You'll also need a 10 or 12 inch adjustable wrench, pipe thread lube and sealant to apply to the pipe threads.

You'll also need to purchase and connect the exhaust vent solid or flexible tubing if it's not already installed from a prior dryer.

Directions for installing the gas connection parts should be enclosed with the installation kit.

You might also contact your gas supplier. Many gas utilities install newly purchased free standing appliances such as dryers and stoves for a nominal fee.

Refer to the manufacturers online web site for additional product information, problem solving methods, pictorials and schematics.

Check the ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered. It is adviseable to inspect, clean the exhaust venting system whenever your working on the dryer.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: