Tappan Gas Oven

Old 11-15-01, 02:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Tappan Gas Oven

Need help on my oven!! Thanksgiving next week, and it doesn't work. Problem is the oven doesn't light sometimes and does at other times. The glow bar is bright red, but takes 10 minutes sometimes for it to light. When it does there is a poof! like too much gas in the oven. It is a Tappan I bought from Wards in 1988.
model/serial# 2899-80/98-01310-89468902 A
It is has an Electronic Oven Control. The top burners work fine, the Broiler works fine also. When it does light, the temperature may go up to what I set it on or sometimes it never gets there.
I checked the glowbar and it had 240 ohms. I think it is OK.
If you have any suggestions I would appreciate them.

Old 11-15-01, 02:58 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Glow Coil and or Gas Valve

Hello tstorm101.
Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The most likely cause is the glow coil. If it's red or orange in color while glowing, then it is not glowing hot enough to function correctly. Below is an excerpt from a prior posting which should help to further explain the problem and help to correct the problem.

A hot glow coil, working correctly, will glow an intense bright yellow orange in color. Too much orange, any reddish color or a dull orange means the glow coil is weak. Replacing it should solve the problem.

Glow coil replacement usually solves the problem. It is also a common practice to replace the gas valve at the same time the glow coil is replaced. However, this isn't always needed when done as a do-it-yourself project.

Glow coil and gas valve replacement, installed as a set, is often done by appliance service persons to avoid the possibility that the unchanged part will also stop working during the repair warranty period.

Do not assume the glow coil is defective simply because it fails to glow. If there isn't any current flowing to the glow coil, test for electrical continuity to and from the thermostat. Be sure to unplug the power first.

It's always possible there is another defective part or switch that is in line electrically between the thermostat and the glow coil that is defective, incorrectly set, etc. and not allowing current to flow through the entire circuit. You may also need to verify if there is electrical continuity through the entire wiring system.

Check the control panel for proper settings. Be sure the clock is set correctly and the selector is set to manual and not in a timed bake selection. Be sure there is electrical power to the appliance.

Be positive the electrical power to the appliance is turn OFF first, then check for electrical continuity through any fuse you find. The fuses element may visually appear to be unbroken but electrically not functioning internally. The fuse is generally located at the end of the electrical power cord close to the oven burner gas valve.

Each wire should be checked through it's entire length. Check each electrical connection, terminal and junction connection. Also check for loose wires between the glow coil, gas valve and every switch.

Ovens with touch pad controls use electronic computerized circuit boards. This part could be removed and taken to the local appliance parts dealer for testing.

FYI:
The do-it-yourself person can do electrical tests and continuity tests on several of the parts often used in ovens. However, neither of these tests will provide proof positive the part being tested is actually functioning correctly. Therefore, do not rely solely on either test.

TIP:
If you plan to replace any part yourself, the only positive proof any part is functioning correctly, is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the potential culprit, and have the local appliance parts store person run the required tests.

Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers online web site for product information, problem solving methods, disassembly instructions, repair proceedures, pictorials and schematics, may be available online.

An excellent source for orginal replacement parts is your local retail appliance parts store. Appliance parts dealers test and carry replacement parts for all appliances. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Retail parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers if you stop in at the store. The info will help to determine the ignition system and possible problem causes.

As an alternate source for additional parts sales, you may elect to patronize our online sponsor and also check the Electric Appliances forum for parts. The advertisement is at the end of any reply posted.

Check the ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco Enterprises
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: