Kenmore gas dryer won't heat

Old 11-18-01, 05:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Kenmore gas dryer won't heat

I have a 4 year old Kenmore natural gas dryer that suddenly stopped generating heat. Every 30-45 seconds I can see a bright glow, which I assume is the ignitor because it only lasts 3 or 4 seconds. I will then smell the natural gas, but no flame or heat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(Model 110.76852693)

Bob

Old 11-19-01, 02:48 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Solenoids, Gas Valve, Restricted Vent or Flame Sensor

Hello Bob

Defective Glow Coil:
The glow coil may glow but just be too weak to allow current to continue to flow to the coils. The solenoid coils are also part of the electrical loop and may effect proper glow coil operation or functioning.

Defective Solenoids:
There are two...both are on top of the gas valve.
Solenoids also supply voltage to the glow coil and are part of the electrical loop. You'll need to remove them from the top of the gas valve by removing the entire gas valve assembly first. Take them off the gas valve body by removing the holddown cover plate or take the entire gas valve unit to your local appliance parts store and have the entire assembly and parts tested.

Defective Gas Valve:
Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable. Replacement is the only option if defective.

CAUTION: Do Not attempt to repair the gas valve! This is a non repairable item!

FYI:
The do-it-yourself person can do electrical tests and continuity tests on several of the parts. There are parts such as flame sensors, timers, solenoids, gas valves, etc. when neither of these tests will provide proof positive the part is actually functioning correctly. Therefore, do not rely solely on either test.

TIP:
The only positive proof any part is functioning correctly, is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the potential problems, and have the local appliance parts store person run the required tests.

Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Patronize our online sponsor for additional information and parts sales. Also check in the "Electric Appliances forum for info and parts.

Refer to the manufacturers online web site for additional product information, problem solving methods, pictorials drawings and schematics, should they be available.

Check the ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

Reminder:
It's adviseable to inspect and clean the exhaust venting system whenever your working on the dryer.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 11-19-01, 02:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Tom,

I will take the suspected assembly to the parts store for testing.

Bob

Old 11-22-01, 03:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Tom,

Unfortunately, none of the area Appliance Parts stores in my area offer testing or diagnosis.

I replaced the thermal fuse and the radiant sensor (only because they were the cheapest is the process of elimination). I thought I had it beat because when I started it back up I had ignition, flame & heat. I came back into the laundry room 15 minutes later to a HEAVY odor of gas. What I discovered is that the ignition, flame & heat will work correctly only the first time until it reaches the desired temperature. From then on the ignitor will glow with a release of gas once every minute or so, but no flame.

I appreciate the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: