Universal Gas Oven won't light

Old 11-19-01, 03:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Question Universal Gas Oven won't light

I have a really old Univeral Cribben Model Gas range (probably about 35 years old) in my basement. We had to turn off the gas because we were intalling a gas fireplace and now the oven won't light. The pilot lit no problem. We belive that there is a reset button to press "somewhere" but we can't find it. Any idea where it might be located?

Old 11-19-01, 03:18 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello heinikel.

Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The RED reset button could be located just about anywhere.
Below is an excerpt from a previous reply I posted for this exact question.

Many of the older stoves have seperate oven and broiler burner gas safety reset buttons that have to be pushed in to reset the safety devices. Reset buttons are located directly on the ASO valve {ASO means Automatic Shutoff Valve.}

If the pilot is already "ON" and the oven fails to lite, look for the reset button. If the pilot isn't "ON" it must be relit and left on about one minute prior to resetting. The reset buttons are on the safety devices and usually RED in color and about the diameter of a nickel.

Each oven burner and each broiler burner will have it's own safety device. Therefore, you may have to locate several reset buttons. Locations vary from manufacturer and by models.

The valve, which has this reset button, is most often located under the liftable stove top cover. Look around the rear burners. It may located in the oven or broilers door frame. Another location may be in the storage compartment next to the oven and broiler.

Very old ranges may have the red reset button on the control panel under the clock. You'll just have to "LOOK" around to locate it, if there is only one. Some ranges have two.

Check the ARCHIVES, within this forum, for other postings on this topic and the replies offered.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bartco Enterprises
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 11-20-01, 12:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Tom..... we found the button, it was next to the burner on that side of the stove. Thanks to this forum, we WILL be having Turkey on Thanksgiving!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: