Correct glowbar replacement?

Old 12-06-01, 03:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Question Correct glowbar replacement?

Tom, great forum! I looked through the archives and couldn't find any info about my dilemma.

I have a GE XL44 Model JGBC20BEW2WH. I went through all the steps to find that my oven glowbar needed to be replaced. I used GE's on-line parts dept. and ordered a new one based on my model number. It appeared to be the proper replacement except that inside the plactic quick disconnect of my new part were female disconnects. They needed to be male.

I called GE: They don't have any technical expertise but told me that I should have ordered the updated part. Fortunately, they take returns and sent me the new one. The new glowbar is round (my old one was rectangular) and has exposed wire ends and wire connectors (as opposed to the quick disconnects). My oven manual specifically says a round Carborundum igniter can not be substituted for the rectangular Norton igniter and not to do anything to the disconnect wiring. GE said it is the right replacement part. I don't know if I trust them.

So my question: Can I use this round igniter/glowbar or not? Either way, should I cut the oven quick disconnect and use the wire connectors or install a quick disconnect for the glowbar? Thanks!

Old 12-06-01, 04:26 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Sprinter. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Thanks for checking the archives first. Your correct. There isn't any prior posting on the topic that even I can remember.

To answer your question regarding any interchanging of glow coils, the direct answer is NO. The glow coils work on different electrical resistance valves and are not interchangeable.

In order to make an interchange of coils, it would be required to change out the gas valve also. Both glow coils and gas valves should match or be a matched set, to provide position assurance both parts function as intended.

About the best advice I can offer you at this point, is to write down the appliance brand name, model and serial number and visit the local retail appliance dealers store.

I am almost 100 percent sure there you'll find expert help and professional advice. Product order via a phone, etc. isn't always the best method to obtain parts, in my opinion.

Regards & Good Luck
Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart.....TCB4U2B2B Enterprises

Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.
Please be advised that although I have spent 18 + years in the natural gas industry, I am not currently working as an appliance service or repair technican. Some diagnostic information provided is exclusively from memory....

Old 12-07-01, 08:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thanks Tom!

Thanks for your input Tom!

I'm glad I didn't listen to GE, I should have known better.

I spoke with my local appliance shop. He said that when you order the rectangular glowbar from GE, you never know if it will have male or female quick disconnects because they use the same part number.

So although it's good GE online takes returns, I wouldn't have had the mix-up if I had gone to my local shop to begin with. It might be helpful for others to know to make sure they are getting the right quick disconnect (male/female).

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: