Kenmore Gas dryer runs fine then stops

Old 12-10-01, 06:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Kenmore Gas dryer runs fine then stops

I have a Sears Kenmore gas dryer that is 1 1/2 years old. It starts fine and heats for about 10 minutes then it shuts off and the timer continues. I can restart it but it will continue the process repetitively. What could be causing this? Is it overheating and shutting down to protect itself?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-01, 03:29 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello tcounts. Welcome to my Gas Appliances forum.

When you say IT shuts off, I have to assume the burner is IT and IT shuts off? If this is the case, it's most likely a restricted exhaust vent.

Remove the venting tube from the dryer and retest the dryer. If the dryer runs and works fine, try clearing and cleaning the venting system out.

Listed below is almost every part that can be the cause of the problem your describing. Excerpts from my prior postings.

Restricted Exhaust Vent:
The exhaust vent tube is located behind or to the side of the dryer. It needs to be removed totally from both sides to completely clear out the lint.

Check the entire system. This also includes the exhaust vent hood outside. It has a flapper that may not be opening fully or not at all. Locate any restriction within the entire exhaust system and clean out all lint. Replace exhaust vent tubing as needed. Plastic vent tubing is fine.

Defective Glow Coil:
The glow coil may glow but just be too weak to allow current to continue to flow to the coils. The solenoid coils are also part of the electrical loop and may effect proper glow coil operation or functioning.

Defective Solenoids:
There are two...both are on top of the gas valve.
Solenoids also supply voltage to the glow coil and are part of the electrical loop. You'll need to remove them from the top of the gas valve by removing the entire gas valve assembly first. Take them off the gas valve body by removing the hold down cover plate or take the entire gas valve unit to your local appliance parts store and have the entire assembly and parts tested.

Defective Gas Valve:
Remove entire unit as an assembly. Take the entire assembly to your local appliance parts store for testing. Gas valves are not repairable. Replacement is the only option if defective.

CAUTION: Do Not attempt to repair the gas valve! This is a non repairable item!

Timer:
Control center for all functions. The timer has internal contacts and as it advances through the cycles, one of those contacts can become burned out, stuck opened or closed for any one of several reasons. Timers also have cams <lobes> that open and close those contact points. If the timer hangs-up on a lobe, it may or may not advance to the next cycle.

If the timer or any other selection switch, on the front control panel, is suspected of causing the existing problem your having with the appliance, be sure all selections are correctly set.

If they are, the timer or other function selected switch may be defective. Timers are a non repairable item. Any or all of the control panels switches can be removed and taken to the local appliance retail parts store for testing.

Timers and switches can also be checked for continuity using an ohm meter or continuity tester. However, do not rely only on a continuity test for proper timer functioning. Timers and switches are non repairable items.

Flame Sensor:
This part is located on the burner housing. If it's defective, it will cause the glow coil to not function or cause the problem your describing. You can test this part with a continuity tester or an ohm meter. However, do not solely rely on this test to prove the part is functioning correctly.

Fuse-able Link:
Check for continuity across this part. It will be located in the exhausts venting system prior to the discharge outlet. If there is no continuity, replace the part.

FYI:
The do-it-yourself person can do electrical tests and continuity tests on several of the parts. There are parts such as flame sensors, timers, solenoids, gas valves, etc. when neither of these tests will provide proof positive the part is actually functioning correctly. Therefore, do not rely solely on either test.

TIP:
The only positive proof any part is functioning correctly, is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the potential problems, and have the local appliance parts store person run the required tests.

Appliance parts dealers carry replacement parts for all appliances and are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Refer to the manufacturers online web site for additional product information, problem solving methods, pictorials drawings and schematics, should they be available.

Regards & Good Luck.
Sharp Advice, TCB4U2B2B Business Management Enterprises.
Web Site Host, Forums Manager, Monitor, Hiring Agent & Multiple Topics Moderator.
Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 10-05-06 at 03:41 AM.
Old 12-11-01, 05:33 AM
Visiting Guest
What I meant is that the drum stops turning but the timer continues to count down. The gas is off of course.

Last night I did a test to check to see if the motor is overheating. I ran the dryer for an hour in the Air/Fluff setting. It ran for the full time without turning off.

Old 10-04-06, 08:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore dryer problem

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem with my Kenmore dryer that you had back in December, 2001. Were you ever able to determine the problem source? If so I would really appreciate your input.

Another frustrated Kenmore dryer user,

trazmo